PDA

View Full Version : Donington

adrianp
28-10-2002, 08:39 PM
Nice to see some of you @ Donnington on Sunday,

For those who didn't go, there was 4 Beats in the end that braved the weather to get there,

The meeting was almost called off due to the marshals having trouble standing up in the wind:p

Once the cars had done their 3 laps behind the pace car (called Qualifying!!!) the wind had died down slightly so they let the meeting go ahead but with a revised (shuffled) timetable

By mid afternoon though, ther weather was totally different

We were sitting at the top of the bank for Craner Curves / Old Hairpin and were treated to some nice off road incidents at times.

Congratulations must go to Ron Field (& Steve) for winning their championship whilst we were there

I'll put a report up on my site in the events section shortly

Adrian.
:bounce:

Steve_M
28-10-2002, 10:25 PM
Mmmm that wind and rain was a bit on the . . . .

wet and windy side :p

Good to see a few beats turn out thou, must have been tricky to keep em on the road in that wind.

adrianp
29-10-2002, 11:25 AM
You could say that Steve...

The journey home wasn't too bad except for the traffic:mad:

BUT

The trip up was a bit interesting at times... I even ended up filling the car up with fuel early just to put a bit more weight into it to make it more stable :eek:

Still it was well worth making the trip (500Km in the end) up to watch though as I had never been to any kind of race meeting before.

Adrian.

Dion
29-10-2002, 07:39 PM
Hi all,

Nice to see John, Chris, Adrian and Steve at Donington. Shame a few more couldn't make it but the weather was pretty gruesome.

The drive on the M1 to Donington was quite scary at times, with side winds almost blowing my Beat into the other lane.

The drive back was Ok on the weather front but there was lots of cars on the motorway, and on a Sunday!

Hope to see you all in the near future, and hopefully the weather will be much better, allowing more Beats to attend.

Well done Steve on winning the championship, sorry I didn't get chance to talk to you.

I'll post some pics soon.

Dion.

jcs
29-10-2002, 08:15 PM
When mother nature eats beans ... you get one hell of a bout of wind!

An excellent day despite the weather and some really good racing. Well done Steve - didn't know a Rover could go that fast!

Steve said Ron may not be doing this one next year, but I'm sure we can still find some good events at Donington for a return visit - hopefully in better weather.

Thanks for suggesting the event Steve, and to all who turned up on a seriously bad day. :eek:

Dion
29-10-2002, 09:34 PM
Here's some more pics from Donington.

jcs
29-10-2002, 10:21 PM
Go on then Dion, let's see 'em then! :confused:

Dion
30-10-2002, 07:51 PM
Sorry John,

You've got me there.

I haven't quite worked out how to down scale the pictures to 100k or whatever so that I can post them on this website. My pics are currently 2.2M, whatever that is!

Even though I've posted a picture before, I can't remember how I did it. More luck than judgement.

Can anyone give me any tips.

Thanks
Dion

adrianp
30-10-2002, 08:44 PM
Hi Dion,

Best thing to do is open the picture in an editing program (I use my scanners software) and use it to change the dimentions and quality untill it is small enough to do what you want.

You can possibly use Paint that comes with windozs (sorry - windows) but it is pretty crap @ changing what you want to do but is handy for small bits of editing. (it's ok if you only want to crop back to the middle of a pic but no good if you need to reduce the whole thing...)

This pic (was 133K now just 36K) shows Rons car (on the right) going through the old hairpin. Unfortunately this is the best shot I got as my camera takes a while between pressing the button and taking the pic so several of the pics had him either now exiting the pic or not there at all... :mad:

Hope this helps (probably not)

Adrian.

Dion
30-10-2002, 09:39 PM
Hi all,

Thanks Ade for the help.

Here's 4 pics for you to look at.

Dion
30-10-2002, 09:41 PM
Picture 2:

Dion
30-10-2002, 09:42 PM
Picture 3:

Dion
30-10-2002, 09:44 PM
Picture 4:

Even the Merc made the pics!

Dion
30-10-2002, 09:50 PM
Hi,

I've just been told that the red Beat in the previous pics has thrown a wobbly.

The crank pulley has come off, no doubt, causing thousands? of pounds of engine damage.

I don't know the extent of the damage yet but will let you know when I find out.

He's had nothing but bad luck with this Beat.

Phil, I hope you still have that engine for sale. You may have a buyer shortly.

I'll keep you posted.

Dion

jcs
30-10-2002, 11:11 PM
That's really bad luck . But good can come of it - maybe now's the time to consider installing a Fireblade engine?:explode:

Dion
30-10-2002, 11:17 PM
Maybe you're right.

I'll have a word with him and try and twist his arm, ever so slightly :D

Andy says hi and thanks for your help and directions.

Dion

Steve_M
31-10-2002, 07:13 AM
Well if its just the pulley off, then there should not be any major engine damage,

"He has had the No.1 cylinder sensor (£98 inc VAT) replaced by a friend of his, who's a mechanic. " Quoted from a previous message.

Perhaps his Freind the mechanic will have some questions to answer, Cos Honda Pulleys dont come off by them selves.

Dion
31-10-2002, 06:23 PM
Hi Steve,

When his mate changed the No.1 cylinder sensor, I'm not sure he took the crank pulley off.

But, I wasn't paying that much attention.

He did use a pneumatic drill on something though.

You're thinking along the same lines as I am!

Dion