PDA

View Full Version : Role Bars

jurek
10-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Has any one fitted role bars (two hoops) behind driver and passenger head?
Have seen them on a Beat photo but no details where available
Would look good and provide extra safety !!!:help: :help:

Jerry
13-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Yes my Beat had a steel double hoop crash bar. It has one large hoop over the engine compartment with buttress bars up to the head hoops, all made out of inch and a half (38mm) stainless steel. The fixings are two brackets just the other side of the bulkhead from the top seat belt mountings. Four 10mm (17mm) spanner size bolts hold the hoops on. It looks very strong. I removed it to gain access to the engine compartment.

jurek
13-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Hi Jerry thanks
do you have a photo you could post or send?
How did you get it or was it fitted to the car when you bought it?
does it have any manufactures name?
speek soon

Robin
14-01-2005, 12:13 AM
Jurek - Oz is the man to ask. Ask him to send you the link to the jap auction boards and then you can keep an eye open and when the right one comes along you ca get it from him...

Just a thought.

jurek
14-01-2005, 12:17 AM
Thanks Robin will give it a go

Jerry
14-01-2005, 03:13 PM
jurek
The bar I have has no makers name and was fitted to the car when I bought it. Sorry, I have taken a picture but have failed to attach it to this note.
Jerry.

Jerry
14-01-2005, 04:20 PM
http://www.goldfish1.f2s.com/misc/beat_roll_bar.jpg
Stop press with help of my son picture of my Roll bar.
Jerry.

jurek
14-01-2005, 05:13 PM
Thanks Jerry sorry to have put you to so much bother.
Its nothing like what I imagined. Why is it of your car was it for the photo?

ALSO NOTED I CANT SPELL !!!
:help: :help:
Thanks for your help

Any other designes out there??:bounce:

Jerry
14-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Jurek
I removed the roll bar soon after I bought the car. As you can see from the photo, the large hoop lays over the engine access hatch. I had to remove it to all the usual checks to the engine.
I did not replace it because I found that I was using the space behind the seats for an extra bit of luggage. Also it is an extra 4kg of weight.
The reasons to fit roll over bars are, as I see them.
1.If you are a fast driver, attend track days or race. It must be a help if the car rolls.
2.It is possible to fit a wind deflector between the hoops. (OZSamurai's site shows some)
3. It does look good!
Now I have got it out of my garage. I will polish it up an take some photo's of the car with the bars fitted.

jurek
14-01-2005, 08:15 PM
Hi Jerry I do all of the above!!
if you wish to pass it on to some who will make good use if it please let me know . Silly Q does it affect the hood going up and down??

tinytim
14-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Now that looks sooooo simple you have to wonder how much it would cost to make???

Who would be interested in a "purely cosmetic" roll bar. I would suggest not putting on the rear part ie stick with just the two hoops on a cross member and loose the rear brace work.

Hands up if you're interested at less than £100,
who would go to the £150 mark

If anyone else knows somewhere who could make them lets see how much we can do it for.

mlind1
15-01-2005, 01:05 AM
I'd be interested , anything up to 150

Paul w
16-01-2005, 08:19 PM
I'll have a chat with my father about making them.

PW

jurek
16-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Hi I to would be interested. they could just be painted black
no need for the SS . But SS would be nice.

Jerry
17-01-2005, 03:24 PM
Yes the hood works as usual.
To anyone who is thinking of making one. Take a look at OZSamurai's site, Modified Beat Galleries, Roll cages and roll bars. You can see a variety of styles and finishes. On closer inspection I think mine is chrome plated steel. The bends are all the same radius and are formed with a cold bender, (as used in some exhaust shops). My bars are gas welded, but Mig' would be just as good, if not better. Painted finish would be fine. If you cover the tubes in foam rubber it saves marking your crash helmet.
A simple jig could be made to help in the assembly. It could be a good project.

ESSON
25-01-2005, 10:42 PM
The Roll bars all mine.....
Fits a treat.
Thanks Jerry