PDA

View Full Version : Catalitic Converter

Jenny B
20-05-2005, 08:19 AM
Hi all,

Sorry I only seem to get in touch when I have a problem! One day my Beat will work properly and I will get to some event to meet some of you!

After spending loads of money on fixing my Beat last year I sort of fell out with it for a while, but with Spring in the air I cautiously took it for an MOT and she passed no problem. Flushed with success I took her to have a new hood fitted and proper smart she looked. I even gave her a wash and polish!

Then driving into work the following week I thought she felt a little odd,. Then the revs started dropping and I got a bit worried but she picked up again and was Ok for a day. Then driving home Saturday she cut out when I was pulling up at a junction and had very little power when I re stared her. The RAC thought it might be an air blockage or the Catalitic converter. She is at a garage now being proded and poked, the cat was siezed on so they have not been able to look inside yet. Has anyone else had the same problem? How easy is it to get a replacement Cat. If I am spending a load more cash anyway how much would a sainless Steel exaust cost and where would I get one to fit?

People keep telling me there is not much else that can go wrong with her!

Jenny

Paul w
20-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Just a point here....

You are not legally obliged to have a cat on a car of the beats age........

You can buy a pipe that replaces the cat and i seem to remember you can do something the sensor to stop the warning light.

Just a thought

Adam
20-05-2005, 08:43 PM
I had a simular problem a while back, where the car had to be really reved in order to take off. I adjusted the timing the that solved that. But I was getting an engine check light after driving for a good while.

I really don't belive that the problem is your cat!

Leachyboy
21-05-2005, 09:56 PM
regular use may solve the probelem possibly.

My Beat I have had for the last 3 years doesn't store well over the winter months and can cut out when warm. This year I started it every few weeks and warmed it up. Half expecting the car to develop embarrassing flat spots and cut out this year I was suprised and pleased it didnt this year

I think on mine it was a sticking warm up regulator or something similiar poss either gumming up or getting a bit lazy

get it nice and hot at decent revs on a dual carriageway ...cheaper than a cat and 98octane petrol also may be good

Andrew

Leachyboy
21-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Forgot say my engine check light has been on since i bought the car

Cant say i have ever felt inclined to find out what it means apart from lots of money/time to fix. Only comes on when hot and on overun probably timing .. I
Andrew

tinytim
22-05-2005, 12:10 AM
It sounds a bit like a fuel relay fault. Does it start OK when it's been left a while?

I doubt it's the cat (unless you've been putting leaded fuel in :( )
What year is the car? As mentioned above you may not need it fitted.

Does the garage know Beats? If not there is the potential for more harm than heal.

Sharpen
22-05-2005, 09:03 PM
does the engine run ok from cold then falter during warm-up? if so, I had this and had to replace the idle valve assembly.

Jenny B
24-05-2005, 07:23 AM
Thanks for all the replies. It turned out not to be the Cat afterall. It was the spark plugs. They were oiled up as the car is burning oil in the cylinder -so I am told.

Well I know it is burning oil but don't know how to stop it without spending lots of money. Got ripped off by the Honda Dealership in Shefield last year.

I also need a new back box for the exaust, any one help with this? Just going to search for a thread on exausts.

:explode: