PDA

View Full Version : Dizzy

john m
27-11-2002, 02:24 PM
If your Dizzy is faulty, is it because of bearings seizing? Should there be oil inside the dizzy then? How do I check to see if there is the correct amount of oil in my dizzy?

Anyone know where I can find a drivers window motor?

John M

adrianp
27-11-2002, 06:24 PM
Hi John,

The Dizy problem was (as far as I know) due to them using a bearing that wasn't up to the job on some of the early batches.

The problem was that as the bearing was being used and therefore heating up, the oil/grease inside was slowly leaking out untill it got to a stage where it over heated and seized

Seized dizy = Big Bill

Normally one of 2 things happens

1) The timing belt breaks / jumps some teeth and the valves hit the pistons (Not good)

2) The drive gear on the cam shaft shears (new cam shaft needed)

The only good thing about the 2nd option is that with the timing belt still in one piece hopefully it hasn't jumped any teeth so that the valves don't his the pistons.

I do have the number of the suspect batches somewhere and when I find it I'll post it up on here

Hope this helps

Adrian
:bounce:

Steve_M
27-11-2002, 10:20 PM
3828 or higher is a safe distributor

Ones with a serial number lower than this are known to give problems, seizeing etc.

Steve_M
03-12-2002, 06:23 PM
This Pic may give a better idea of the batch number location.

HTH

Paul w
03-12-2002, 09:04 PM
Hmm, that reminds me of a trick i saw a mechanic do,
he was struggling to read an engine block number, so he pressed some blue tac (modeling clay etc) against it and then read it in the cars wing mirror....clever huh?

PW

john m
04-12-2002, 09:07 AM
Confusing one this. Brand new dizzy, letters above lot number TD-210, lot number 2729 and date inside 24/07/2002. Looks like a newly fabricated unit but with an old lot number. Is this safe to use?

adrianp
04-12-2002, 09:00 PM
Typical........

There has to be one doesn't there.....

I'm sure Steve or someone will be able to help though

What do you mean by "Date Inside??"

I ask because it's been a while since they made the beat and that seems a bit of a new date unless that have recently had a new batch made...

Other than that though, Can't be much help...:mad:

Adrian.
:bounce:

Steve_M
05-12-2002, 07:03 AM
Im surprised that the date is that new, my dist which was from april this year is dated 1998, as as you cab see in that pic quite a high lot number.

I know that the Beat dist has been on back order from Honda for a while, perhaps they had literally run out of them, and 2002 dist have been made, i would say that yours is possibly safe to use, perhaps they run out of batch numbers, even thou i thought that they had gone in to using letters in it as well now.

HTH

john m
05-12-2002, 09:10 AM
Adrianp,
The date is stamped on the side of the black arm, can be seen once the cap has been removed.

John

Steve_M
05-12-2002, 06:56 PM
This is the date that john talks about, stamped on the sensor casing inside the distributor.

HTH

Steve_M
09-12-2002, 09:33 PM
I fitted a new distributor to a beat today, it was dated 2002 inside and had a batch number of 2X35. So i wonder if your 2729 is actually in fact has a letter in it perhaps, it would seem it would be fine to use.

HTH