PDA

View Full Version : Starter Motor

robertsimons
23-06-2005, 09:41 PM
Hi Folks,

I recently changed a rear light bulb on my Beat H875PRD and left the lights on. This drained the battery completely, surprise! surprise!

I've recharged the battery for some 16 hours and all I get when I turn the ignition on is;
the key in ignition alarm bleep,
the panel lights,
but no starter.

Just the sound of a stuck starter motor, like that of a jammed electric motor. I've tried rocking the car in gear too in an attempt to free the starter motor......

Does anyone have any advise??? My next step is to try and bump start her.

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Robert

barkley
23-06-2005, 11:21 PM
hit the started with a bar check there is power going to it try jump leads incase your battery is done check battery for water top up and charge again if it is

robertsimons
24-06-2005, 12:04 PM
Thank you for your advice Barkley. I've bought some distilled water and will use a bar as suggested.

Where is the starter motor positioned, is it visible from the underside?

Thanks Again, Robert

Adam
24-06-2005, 08:42 PM
Yeh you can see it from underneeth.

The starter motor is on the drivers side of the engine, near the distributor only lower, near the gearbox mount. Its held on by two bolts and two wires one is screwed on and the other is pushed in. You'll need a size 12 and 14 sockets.

But I agree with Barkley and its sounds like a battery problem, when they are dead you usually get a clicking noise from the starter.

robertsimons
25-06-2005, 11:49 PM
After charging the battery for 2.5 days I convinced myself that it was the starter motor. Last night I tow started the car which worked but it kept stopping. I felt it had to be the starter motor.
Today I called out the AA and low and behold, it was the battery.
A visit down to the local Halfords and a battery was had for £39.95, swopped it over and she started on the first crank.

Sorry for not trusting your advice Guys!

Thanks Again Robert :bounce: