PDA

View Full Version : Clutch-mare

Alex
13-01-2003, 11:58 PM
A big hello from Newcastle to all the regulars,

This may be an easy one for the more car savvy, but as my lovely Beat is only my second car ever, I'm not sure where to start. I have had the car for a few months and the clutch has been making a weird gravelly noise. I figured I was going to have to have a look at this when I bought it - and now I do.

The clutch packed in (in the middle of town no less) tonight. :(

The pedal only rose about an inch when I went to move from the lights and I could not engage the gears. After a little persuasion it released long enough to swing into the bus concourse, where the pedal went completely light.

I'm hoping this is a snapped cable/knackered valve and would appreciate any help in diagnosing and fixing my baby! Please bear in mind that I have ZERO experience in any maintenance but keen to learn.

Bring it on!

Alexi

Steve_M
14-01-2003, 12:12 AM
Well it wont be as easy as a snapped cable, cos the system is hydralic. its possible that either the Clutch master cylinder (at pedal end) has failed. look for leaks under the dash. check fluid level in the front under bonnet (small reservoir next to brakes reservoir)

or it could be the slave cylinder which is located on top of the gearbox (engine cover removal needed to see)

Other wise if its not a hydralic problem, you could be looking at a gearbox out job due to a mechanical clutch fault.

Price wise for parts your looking @ £210 for 3 piece clutch kit
£160 for clutch master cylinder. £96 clutch slave cylinder.

HTH

Alex
24-01-2003, 04:21 PM
Cheers for that,

I have finally had a bit of time to have a look, and there doesn't appear to be any leaks. The clutch fluid is filthy, however. Could that be the cylinder rubbers need replacing?

I couldn't actually find the slave cylinder - any clues?

Ta in advance,

Alex

Steve_M
24-01-2003, 07:33 PM
The Slave Cylinder is located on top of the gearbox just behind the distributor.

It could be just the seals failed in either the Master or Slave, But replacement of the seals is not an option as they are not available seperately.

Possible a bleed through with new fluid might sort your prob but only short term.

HTH