PDA

View Full Version : Air filter

Adam
28-01-2003, 03:34 AM
Hey everyone,

This is not really a problem as such but is anyone else having this problem. Everytime I take the filter off there is a pool of oil there. Whats up with that?

Adam
28-01-2003, 03:36 AM
I know I used the word "problem" twice in one sentance. Sorry for the bad grammer.

Steve_M
28-01-2003, 07:32 AM
Does your engine use quite a bit of oil.

Oil pushed through the breather and into the airfilter indicates high crank case pressure, normally caused by worn piston rings, something that beats seem to suffer with.

Mine used to push some oil through, but now after replaceing piston rings and engine over haul, all is fine, no oil usuage at all.

Adam
29-01-2003, 02:10 AM
I know that small engine cars burn oil much faster, but thats not really a problem. I know that JohnD car burns more oil and he does not have that problem.
I changed the oil twice now. First time it was Mobil 1 and I went through the 5L bottle in bout 4,000 KM. It was empty and I filled it and topped it up every now and then.

Don't scare me Steve :(

john m
29-01-2003, 10:18 AM
I don't do a huge amount of miles in my Beat, about 2500-3000 km since last June but the oil has required no top ups and the level on the dip stick has not changed. Most of the driving that I do is non-town/city so the engine would not heat up as much as if I were stuck in traffic so that could have some contribution to me not burning oil. My mother had a new 2.0 L Beetle and it used to consume 1 L of black every 2000-3000 miles but VW said this was normal and the car ran perfect for the next 25000 miles till it was sold. So I would question the fact that engine capacity has a huge effect on oil consumption, I would say that the oil used is related to the heat generated by the engine and an engine which high revs are a way of life would develop more heat, that combined with city driving would cause your oil to burn.

John

Adam
29-01-2003, 03:21 PM
I agree with you that the oil consumption is due to heat. How and where you drive it will depend how much oil it eats. I dont think that mine is too bad thou and the car revs really high compering to others. You have to rev it in order to have decent performance. I really dont know now.

Thanks

Adam
29-01-2003, 07:52 PM
Worn rings is what JohnD sain too. I thing you could be right Steve. Any clue how much is it for a set? I will be taking the engine soon to do the timing belt so I can look at them too.

Thanks

Steve_M
29-01-2003, 08:23 PM
Your looking at around £100 for 3 sets of Piston rings and £115 for a top end gasket set (this is every gasket and seal that is head related) Sump and lower crank case is all sealed with special sealer and there are a couple of other o rings and seals required for a full bottom end strip.

Worth having valves out and a decoke and replace valve stem seals as well this will be another user of oil.

HTH