PDA

View Full Version : brakes

JGGIB
12-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Just got rear discs and pads ...how easy are they to change any problems i might encounter,as i am a sparks not a machinic:)

Adam
13-06-2006, 12:04 AM
Its really easy, just take off the rear wheel.

First undo bolts marked number 1 in the picture then push back the piston(it will either screw back or will need a vice or clamp to push it back, can't remember).

Then hang it up off the shock out of the way while you change the disc, use a cable tie for that.

Then undo the screws marked number 2. For this you might need an impact screwdriver( can get it in halfords for around €20).

reverse to put back.

JGGIB
13-06-2006, 07:14 AM
Thanks for that. sounds easy... is the front the same as will do those couple weeks time.

Adam
13-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Yep same thing, the only problem you might have is to undo the 2 screws, apart from that its straight forward.

Good luck

Adam
13-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Here is a better pic. Its a screw back piston setup.

JGGIB
16-06-2006, 08:45 PM
How far back does the piston go :confused:

Steve_M
16-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by JGGIB
How far back does the piston go :confused:

Until its almost flush with the housing, bascically just enough to get the caliper over the new pads, you need to align the cross i the piston so it slides over the peg on the back of the inner pad.

to reset the handbrake mechanism, slacken the handbrake cable adjuster fully (found under the centre console) then pump the brake pedal till firm (3 to 4 pumps) then readjust cable until you get 4 to 6 clicks on the handbrake.

pay close attention to the caliper slider (that they move freely) and also the handbrake cable pivot on the caliper, make sure its free.

HTH

JGGIB
17-06-2006, 09:24 AM
thanks steve.

JGGIB
19-06-2006, 08:14 AM
Dont no if this a daft question but on the caliper to get back in i had to turn it, so when you put the brakes on how does this come out cant turn cos the pegs on the pad :confused:

Steve_M
19-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Thats how they auto adjust, as the pad wears, each time the piston moves out it adjusts the handbrake mechanism to keep it in contact with the pad.