PDA

View Full Version : Fake identity

Adam
08-02-2003, 01:40 AM
All Beats are imported and so when they reach this side of the world they have to be registered again. My point is that on my log book it says that the car is a "none convertible/sports coupe". I have also seen cars were the year on the reg plate can't be the real year. Has anyone else seen this.

P.S. In Ireland the year on the reg plate should be the actual year.

Midship
08-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Mine is Registered as a hatch-back! :rolleyes:

Midship
08-02-2003, 10:07 PM
Oh the car I think Adam is talking about is one which I also took a trip out to see, its a beat currently in the Irish buyandsell, its advertised as a 1996 however I have my doubts. Maybe someone can clarify this one-

The beat was red (were all made in 1996 green?) it had no airbag, ABS etc. It had an early batch distributor and the chassis number was PP1-100, also the car was in unbelievably poor condition for the year. It was rusted, the paint was totally faded, the seats were re-trimmed and ripped, it had 105km and black smoke- it was in the worst condition I have ever seen a beat in.

Just letting anyone looking to buy a beat in Ireland known- approach this one with caution. Me thinks something could be fishy, maybe not. It’s just my humble opinion by all means have a look and see what you think
:D

Steve_M
09-02-2003, 10:30 AM
Well my Yellow Beat is registered as a "2-Axle-Rigid Body Convertible" and my Red Beat is a "2-Axle-Rigid Body Sports"
So not far out really.

Registrations should really be taken with a pinch of salt, The date when a vehicle is registered does not reflect when it was built, especially whenit comes to imports, it normally just means what date is on some paperwork. Its not as if a Car has a build "birth" certificate.

I know we have a car at work for nearly a year, and its only just been registered, so what reg should that have been???

Best guide is from chassis number, this would tell you if its a later car or not, eg a version F, C or Z

Version F are PP1-1028395~ (800 made) (Bluey Green)
Version C are PP1-1030565~ (500 made) (Blue)
Version Z are PP1-1031412~ and PP1-1100001~ (Green or Silver)

HTH

Paul w
09-02-2003, 04:08 PM
My first (red) beat was registered as a perdua nippa!

My current one is on an N plate..........

PW

tinytim
09-02-2003, 10:00 PM
Mine is a 2-Axle-Rigid Body Convertible but I have to say a lot depends on the VLO the paperwork goes through. It used to be the case that you had to provide proof of date of manufacture or could be issued a Q plate. I don't know what the ruling is now but you can bet there is one. It will be in the small print waiting for some VLO clerk to make a name for him/herself.

Steve_M your point on what year should a 12 month old car get came to a head a few years back when Ford were hit with a massive fine for selling "new" cars that had been sat rusting in a carpark near Southampton for up to 3 years. Never used but by no means new!

Adam
10-02-2003, 02:59 AM
Yeh JohnD,

The 96 looked like it rolled out of a skip, my one looked better when it was missing the front. More milage then mine and 5 years younger. It was an early chassis number too so there had to be something strange there. In my opinion it is a no go area.

You would think that they would define this car as something and stick to it.

john m
10-02-2003, 12:09 PM
My car was registered as a 660 cc salon. If I had operated strictly to this document the insurance would have been a lot cheaper. I know that there are a lot of young guys driving around in Starlet Turbo cars that are documented and insured as 1.3L cars, thats the only way they can afford to run them. God help them if they are ever involved in a claim.

tinytim
10-02-2003, 08:33 PM
John M,

It won't be God help them if they are involved in a claim, it will be God help the poor 3rd party.

I have no love of insurance companies they are un-regulated, highway robbers but I don't mess with the details I provide.

I had a friend who found he was not insured because he had alloy wheels on his Golf, he had bought it like that but they wern't standard. Did he get his premium back?,,,,Like hell.

I had quotes ranging from £350 to over £3000 but there are a number of companies out there who have the Beat on their data base, I use Tesco at £350. The beat is not on their web site but if you phone them they have it and there are others.

May be worth a thread, Who Insures U?

Tim

Midship
10-02-2003, 08:50 PM
Good point John

When people import cars over here they seem to be able to register them as whatever they like. I have seen starlet turbos advertised by garages as "turbo not declared on registration" they are using it as a selling point! That’s what made me think that some dodgy importer could have changed that beats registration date.

My car is insured as a Honda Today as they didn’t have the Honda Beat on their system. However I have informed them in writing what exactly the car is. So they have no excuse for not paying out in the event of an accident. My insurance is 2500 TPF&T :0( I have never had a claim, ive a full licence and 2 years no claims! My massive insurance policy is due to the fact im under 25. Robbery!!!

Dave
11-02-2003, 11:44 AM
Sorry for hijacking the thread here a bit but...

My insurance is 2500 euro - 28 years old - 2 years named driver - 1 year NCB AND... the company that I'm currently with have informed me (6 months later) that they don't insure 'camper vans or convertables' - so I have to look for a new company next year!

They made a mistake in giving me a policy - for 2500 ... shees! :mad: They just pulled that figure out of the air! :explode:

All you guys and girls take care!

Cheers,
Dave