PDA

View Full Version : 7000 rpm fuel relay oxygen sensor??

Andrew Fisher
13-02-2003, 10:57 PM
Am I jumping to conclusions or could the fuel relay 'won't start till you've smoked a fag' problem and the 'won't go over 7000 rpm' be linked?

My car had developed a power loss on moving off from standing, such as at traffic lights or roundabouts. It only did it within 300 yards of work (after about 20 mins' driving), and not every (but still most) mornings. I didn't blame it (I don't want to go to work either) but it's still quite frightening having to really coax any pull out of the car when you've pulled out from a roundabout in rush hour. No problems going home of course.

My car only goes up to 7000 rpm too.

Anyway yesterday I hadn't used the car for a week and it was much worse. It stalled twice and the engine managment light thing went on when it stalled (went off afterwards). I just about got it into work.

The result of the diagnostic doodah was a single short repeating blink followed by a long gap. I read that as oxygen sensor. I'm sorry if this is old news or boring, but my problem is rather similar to the won't start after refuelling job, and the loss of power is almost like that gasping feeling at over 7000 rpm.

Is the oxygen sensor a potential problem? Is it a red herring like the number 9 one can be? Is it expensive and/or easy to fix? I'd be really grateful for any pointers, and if it helps the 7000 rpm thing I'm happy to provide any further info if anyone is interested.

Steve_M
13-02-2003, 11:13 PM
After quite a lot of work with Adrians car, replacement of many items, we are still quite positive on the 7000rpm problem being an exhaust problem, blockage in the silencer, but as yet have not got to try this with a known good exhaust.

I think the Trouble code of 1, oxygen sensor is a bit of a red herring, but also agree with you that its poss fuel/pump main relay problem possibly. mainly because if the fuel pump was cut while the engine was running the engine would suddenly run weak just before it stopped and the engine management system would have tried to enrichen it with out success.

A fuel pump/main realy is around the £50 mark, an oxygen sensor £100+

How does it run generally? hesitates at low/light throttle???

tinytim
14-02-2003, 09:29 PM
Have you checked your plugs?

I suffered exactly the symptoms you are describing. It started as difficulty pulling away at lights and roundabouts then moved on to stalling in the same situation, things then progressed to coughing whilst driving normally. Then one damp morning, no start and no interest in starting. It was simply due to the plug gap getting too big.

Certainly a cheaper option

Tim

Andrew Fisher
14-02-2003, 10:40 PM
Thank you for both of your replies.

Steve - it runs well generally apart from the 7000 revs business and normally picks up very well at low revs (or at least I think so - it's really hard to tell these things when you've only driven one car of a type and it's amazing what you can subconcously adjust to).

It's going in for a full service and cambelt change in a couple of weeks so I'll make sure that includes a spark plug change - thanks for that Tim.

And I'm sure you're right about exhausts Steve - my great big lump of pipeage that feels as though it's going to fall off at any moment (and the temptation to help it off with a foot is very great) can't be doing anyone any favours. I just wish the previous owner who stuck it on had left the old one in the boot (if it would fit).

Andrew

Andrew Fisher
06-03-2003, 10:06 PM
Thanks to Tim and Steve for your help. Service wasn't going to include plugs but I got them done and the ones that came out look a bit cokey.

Car feels a lot more get up and go-y since, but that may just be imagination. Still farts at 7000 though.

Thanks again for your help.

Andrew

pnut
19-06-2004, 06:36 PM
Hi Andrew,
just wondering if you ever found a cure for your Beat's rev problem (7000), as mine has the same problem
Cheers
Phil

Andrew Fisher
19-06-2004, 10:20 PM
'fraid not.

I'm not so sure about the exhaust idea either I replaced mine this year and that didn't work. Although that's not the catalyst or the nearer the manifold bits.