PDA

View Full Version : 2 Cylinders

Midship
01-03-2003, 02:38 AM
Ive a problem with my beloved beat.. It’s only running on two cylinders. Cylinders one and three are ok but cylinder 2 isn’t doing anything.

I decided to take a closer look.. One of my new performance HT leads was broken (cylinder 2). It looked as if the lead had melted where the wire meets the sparkplug connector so when I went to take off the lead-it broke. I decided to put back the original leads, because now one of my performance leads was broken, one of the performance leads never sat right and the RFI ment I no longer had a radio.

After a change of spark plugs and after putting back on the original leads the same thing is happening. I decided to take the ht lead off cylinder 2 and there was a fairly healthy spark out of it.

Another thing I noticed was that when I removed the spark plugs the one from cylinder 2 had more oil on that the other two.

Would I be right in thinking the rings on cylinder 2 could be damaged? That could explain the oil on the sparkplug and maybe the ht lead was delivering a spark and it only broke when i went ot remove it.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks

Adam
01-03-2003, 05:38 AM
Oh, Fu*$k!

Sorry to hear that John. I cant really imagine what it feels like. I will come down tomorrow.

Steve_M
01-03-2003, 07:57 AM
Well if your original performance lead had broken and you had run it like that for a while with a missfire, then No 2 spark plug would have been flooded with fuel.

Putting the old lead back on and running it may not clear that flooding /missfire, you really needed to remove the plugs and clean them first.

It can also be that all that unbrunt fuel in the cylinder can wash the bores and cause low compression on that cylinder, which can take a while to recover.

HTH

Midship
01-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Thanks Steve! The plug was dirty and ive put a new set of plugs into it. As you said there could be a build up of fuel and could take a while to clear. So much for so-called Performance HT leads they are only 3 weeks old!!!!!!!

My parts are on order for a planned total engine rebuild, im going to make a start this week. My beat was burning a crazy amount of oil so I wanted to rebuild soon anyway.

I was looking at the pic of your shinny-lacquered engine Steve and was wondering what type of lacquer you used? All of the paint places ive been in don’t have anything that heat resistant. Would it interfere with the engines cooling? As a few paint shops I went to told me it would. Obviously they don’t know the type of lacquer you are using or they just don’t know what they are talking about.. One or the other!

Im also getting some red spray for the rocker cover- the same effect and colour as they use on vtec rocker covers on DOHC vtec Type R`s. By the time im finished it will be a little Beat Type R! i Dont know why im putting in the effort.. its not as if anyone will see the engine!
:D

Thanks again

Steve_M
01-03-2003, 06:42 PM
Hi

I bought my laquear from frost Auto Restoration Techniques Ltd. (http://www.frost.co.uk)

Its made by Eastwood and is called diamond clear.
Gloss Clear for bare metal surfaces.
Item code 10200 @ £8.50 - 12,84 euros

I used a £20 Sealey hand held sand blaster to clean the surfaces up and gave them 2 coats of this laquer, i used 3 cans to do engine and gearbox.

You will prob also want to give your cylinder bores a hone when its apart just to get the glaze off of them. I used a draper one that just goes in a drill, 3 stones on a sprung mechanism which you spin in the bores to clean up the surfaces. Glaze busting its called.

HTH

Steve_M
01-03-2003, 06:47 PM
The End result!!

:cool:

Paul w
01-03-2003, 09:41 PM
Sun glasses on!!

PW

Midship
15-03-2003, 11:25 PM
Found out what the problem is (i took the head off earlier)...... number two cylinder has a hole in one of the valves!!!! i dont know how it could have happened! Dose any one know the price of new ones? Do they have to be purchased in a set i.e 6 intake or 6 exhaust? or is it possible to replace just the fried ones?

I have the today engine honed, i got the head skimmed and ive polished the ports..all i need now is a few valves and the parts ive been waiting 2 weeks for from honda

Ill post up a pic of the valve that has a hole in it! :(

Steve_M
15-03-2003, 11:36 PM
Exhaust valves are £30 each 14721-P36-000
Inlet vlaves are £20 each 14711-P36-000

You can replace them individually, just inspect all the others very closely.

HTH

Adam
16-03-2003, 03:08 AM
The vibrations at 9000 Rpm didn't help that valve John. It simply shattered.

Midship
01-04-2003, 12:49 AM
The problem! A hole in a valve