PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump

Midship
03-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had a faulty water pump? I was wondering about the cost of a new one? Im thinking of replacing it when I have the engine out.. Just incase.... ive read a few articles on Japanese sites about them breaking and that’s the last thing I want to happen to my rebuilt engine! Since it runs off the timing belt!

Im also reconditioning the altenater and starter and ive fitted a new dizzy not so long ago so hopefully once the job is finished my beat and I will have many more happy trouble-free miles with each other!

Dose anyone have any tips or information that may be useful to me when it comes to taking out/re-building the engine?

Thanks
:D

tinytim
04-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Use a hoist or get a strong friend to help you.

Sorry John I just couldn't resist. I will of course need some more helpful advice when I ask about doing my clutch but I've probably just shot myself in the foot.

Best of luck.

Midship
04-03-2003, 11:02 PM
ive kinda anticipated that much tinytim :p I was thinking more along the lines of torque setting and tightening sequences for the head

If anyone has a copy of the workshop manual for sale I would be interested in buying one

Thanks

adrianp
05-03-2003, 06:53 AM
Hi John,

Hopefully Steve M will be able to help you with this, He's had a bit of practice at rebuilding Beat enines...;)

I'm sure he will be able to tell you how to do things the easiest way (if there is such a thing) and what torque sttings to use on various bolts etc.

Hope this helps

Adrian.
:bounce:

Adam
05-03-2003, 10:53 AM
Here is a jap site on engine rebuilds

http://www.yk.rim.or.jp/~t_asai/Beat/index.html

Steve_M
05-03-2003, 07:56 PM
Hi

A water pump is pricey, in the region of £100. so not perhaps the cheapest item to just replace for the sake of it, feel the bearing for play etc. noise etc. and consider if it feels nec to replace. also check the cambelt tension roller and guide roller, these can have play and noise and are £45 each.

I will compile some info for you regarding torque figures and engine removal.

I took the head off mine while in situe then drop the engine out the bottom leaving the gearbox in. then finally too the gearbox out reunited it with the engine with the head on, but not the inlet manifold and put those in as a lump from below using an engine crank witht the car on a 2 poster ramp

HTH

Steve_M
05-03-2003, 08:10 PM
Here yo go for starters here is the head bolt sequence, best done in 3 stages 20Nm, 40 Nm then finally 68Nm.

HTH

Midship
06-03-2003, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the info steve any halp you can give me would be really apreciated-ive never tackled a job as big as this before!