PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox oil change

Adam
05-03-2003, 12:30 AM
I was trying to change the oil in the gearbox and something strange happened.

There two nuts. One which is a size 17 wrench next to the drive shaft and another below which is an alan key type.

I was under the impression that you put the oil in the top one. But when I took it out oil started to go everywere.

Will someone clear this up

Thanks

Midship
05-03-2003, 02:22 AM
Hi Adam

I was under the impression that the Allen key type bottom plug was for draining and the top one size 17 was for refilling. The oil should be put in to the top one until it starts coming out then it is full.

Maybe someone else could confirm that they are definitely the drain and refill plugs?

What could have happen is that someone could have changed the oil before and overfilled it. This could have been done by filling it up by a different screw hole or possibly it was filled up on a slope the last time it was changed.

If you remove the drain plug and drain the oil into a container if the amount of oil that comes out of it exceeds its capacity (1.2L) then it seem that its been overfilled. The main thing is that 1.2l goes back into it

HTH
Let us know how it goes
:)

Steve_M
05-03-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Adam
Will someone clear this up

Thanks

Clean it up ya self ;)

Top 17mm bung is level bung, with car on a level surface the oil should just trickle out of the opening.

The bottom 3/8 drive bung is for draining gearbox.

Oil should be either 10W40 engine oil or Honda MTF oil

HTH

Adam
05-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Thanks again Steve. I did it and it was filthy. Since you always answer my questions I think its only right for you to ask me one. Go for it, don't be shy.:p