PDA

View Full Version : Front Fog Lights

Robin
06-03-2003, 10:28 AM
I have a bit of a weird one for you here.

My beat had the optional front fogs put on it but for some reason they were never wired up, and no swicth was even put in for them!!

If i wanted to get them sorted what would i need to do and what sort of price are we talking?

Cheers guys
:)

Adam
06-03-2003, 05:14 PM
May be the front bumper was replaced. But I think the wires will be there so the only thing you would be missing is the switch then.

Steve_M
06-03-2003, 07:41 PM
The wiring for the lamps will be there behind the bumper (2 pin connectors) and there will be a multi plug behind the dash for the switch.

Your problem will be getting a switch!!

That came as part of the foglamp kit. (now discontinued in Japan)

You might be able to get the switch separate, but Only in Japan thou.

(Any plans for a Far East Holiday???)

I might be able to get one via contacts in Japan, but i wouldn't hold your breath on that (Ive been waiting nearly a Year for some stuff already)

HTH

Adam
07-03-2003, 02:00 AM
Get a switch off another car from a scrap yard and plug it in. After all it's only a switch. Its not a hard job and they look good!

adrianp
07-03-2003, 07:04 AM
Hi Adam,

If only it was that simple...

I managed to get hold of a switch that looked right but when I went to plug it in, the socket at the back was a different width.

The one I got was 1 row of pins too wide, so the search continues...

I know that almost any switch can be made to work if you re-do the wiring but plugging straight in would be much better...

Adrian.

Adam
07-03-2003, 03:56 PM
I just had a look at that switch and I can see why you might have some trouble with it.

I will have another look and try to figure out what wires you will need and how you might go about wiring it.

The only thing I need to know is how many pins are there on the back of that switch you got. I am waiting for the rain to stop first.

adrianp
07-03-2003, 07:59 PM
Here you go Adam,

I've just had the switch apart and it has 8 pins in the back,

1 row of 5

1 row of 3 (set of 2 + 1 individual one)

The PCB in the switch is for a dual one (front & rear) but only the rear one is activated with the rest of the PCB bare...

Heres a pic of the rear of the board in case it helps but looking at it it is quite simple for me to work out what does what...

I might look out for another one though that either does just the front ones or is set up to do front & rear together like this unit could have been...

Ta

Adrian.

Steve_M
07-03-2003, 08:14 PM
The Imfamous Beat Front Fog Lamp switch.

Ive rechecked the part no. for it and its not available from Honda UK.

The wiring actually turns the side lights on when you press the switch as well as the front Fogs. (As sidelights is minimum lighting requirements for the use of Front Fog Lamps) Thats why it uses 9 terminals.

An aftermarket switch would probably only require 3 of these terminals, Feed in from lighting circuit, Feed out to Foglamps, Earth for warning light in switch.

HTH

Paul w
08-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Who'd have thought a switch could be so complicated!!

I have front fogs, but i have no idea if they work, or are even wired to a switch!

Once I get a new battery I'll let you know!

PW

Adam
08-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Here it is.
Connect the fogs to the wires at the front.

Now if you look at the socket there are 6 wires going to it. If you want just the fogs to turn on (the rest of the lights can be turned on with the light switch by the steering wheel), then you are only concerned with the two center wires. They are: Blue/ red stripe and White/ red stripe.

Now if you grab a wire and short circuit(connect) the two pins together and the lights should come on.

If they dont- check the bulbs.

Now if you think of cutting that wire and putting the switch between the two loose ends, you have yourself a fog switch.

Goodluck and if you have any questions just ask.

adrianp
08-03-2003, 07:09 PM
Nice one Adam,

I can see a temporary switch coming into play soon....

Now all I need is some decent weather so that I can fit the lights to the car....

Adrian

:bounce:

Robin
11-03-2003, 10:29 AM
It took me a little bit of thinking but i have finally worked out what has happened with my front fogs.

While the car was in Japan they were connected up to the original front fog light switch which i have now realised is still there but when the car was imported into this country and a rear fog light was required they simply disconected the front fogs and wired the rear fog up to the front fog switch.

I take it all the the front fog lights will need to have done to work is have the plug reconected to the front fog switch but then what would i have to do to get the rear fog connected up again?

Adam
11-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Hi Robin,

How many wires is there going to the switch? Is the original socket still connected? When you switch the back fogs on do the front parking lights come on too? Let me know and I will think of something.

tinytim
15-03-2003, 10:34 PM
I just read this thread and popped down to switch my fogs on (I have a version Z so they were standard I think) Phill B fitted wired them prior to the sale so they all work off the same switch.

Steve your point on needing a minimum of side lights (and I would have agreed with you 20 minutes ago) seems no longer valid, there is no check for front fog lights, which are now classed as optional front marker lights and not subject to test. The rear is allowed to work independant from all other lights but requires a dash mounted tell tale light and here is the problem. The examiner must "Check also that the drivers tell-tale works properly."

My Beat does not give a tell-tale, do I have a faulty warning light or is this standard on the Beat and therefore a potential problem for all at MOT.

Steve_M
15-03-2003, 11:13 PM
Well according to my little book, its says that with referance to ECE regulation 38 subsection 53 d of the Road Licensing Regulations. The rear fog lamp circuit must ensure that the Rear fog lamps can only be switched on if Front fog lamps or the low-beam or high-beam headlamps are operating

It also says that it must be possible to switch off rear foglamps independantly to front foglamps and that Rear fog lamps must have a yellow telltale light unless pre 1981 where it can be green.

So in theory Rear foglamps should not be wired into the front foglamp switch.

But hey how many MOT testers know this???

Come to think of it, the Rear foglamp should be E marked and have alsorts of mounting restrictions. These would probably only be picked up on a SVA test rather than an MOT.

Front fog lamps were not Standard on a version Z, accessory like all other Beat models.

tinytim
15-03-2003, 11:52 PM
Steve,
Like I said, earlier tonight I would have said much the same but it appears requirements have changed, this is a quote from the MOT manual.

Note: A rear fog lamp is permitted to operate independently of headlamp, position lamp or ignition systems.

I, like yourself, thought you had to have some other lights on before the rear fog could be put on. I also remember having to check that the front fogs would NOT function with main beam but this is no longer the case. I don't know if this is more sh 1 t comming from Europe but it could be your little book is in need of an update. With all the changes going on at present I doubt there is anyone who is fully up to date with requirements.:confused:

It does appear however that the tell-tale is a must and in yellow and I have neither:mad: