PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Offer Some Assistance Please

Jakflash
09-04-2007, 12:57 AM
:help: I have a 1991 Beat - Love it.
All was going well, parked the car in the garaage as usual after a day trip.
Came out next morning, the car started as usual first go, everything was just as is should be. BUT when I went to drive off there was very little power.

It was as though some one had placed a block of wood under the acceleretor, the car had very little power.
There had been no previous problems.

I had the car on a tow truck to the local mechanic.

Well it has now been 10 weeks and we have:-
Replaced the fuel filter
Replaced the spark plugs
Replaced the cam angkle sensor
Replaced the timing belt
Had the ECU servived

The mechanic is now asking me to locate a wiring diagram as the ECU service people couild not bench test the unit without a wiring daigram. Does anyoine have a service manual on CD or that could be emailed to me?

Still the problem exists and all I have done is made the mechanic a wealthy man.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what to look at?
This is truly frustrating.

My email address is: jakflash42@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Regards

Jak

TADO
09-04-2007, 08:32 AM
hi jak
fraid i cant offer any advice, but steve m recently uploaded the wiring diagram to our site - you can download it here: http://www.tado.co.uk/DOWNLOADS/BWD.zip
hope it helps and you're back on the road again soon!
mike

Jakflash
09-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks very much for the information, that will be of some help, even if not immedtiate, but certainly in the future.

ozsamurai
10-04-2007, 12:12 PM
can I have some more info please jak..... are the revs ok with no power or do they die along with it? have you looked at the airflow into the engine? Is there any difference with the AC on or OFF etc... this troubleshooting info is needed to have a suggestion for you. Unfortunately the ECU wiring diagrams are not public domain they belong to Honda and there are several versions of them depending on the ECU in the car. Since I worked there I tried to get a buddy of mine to pull them for me from the system on the sly, but the Honda system has changed since they were drafted (computerized) and are now lost for all time, sad, but true. Again more info and I may be able to point you somewhere..

Cheers
Oz

Steve_M
10-04-2007, 12:33 PM
other questions would be.

1) Is engine light on?

2) Any ECU codes stored? (carry out diagnostic plug bridge)

3) Inspect inside of ECU. Any capacitors blown?

I suspect ECU failure, most failures effect fueling

Jakflash
10-04-2007, 08:20 PM
Hi Oz

Thanks for your response.

The revs die with the lack of power, it is as though there is a block of wood under the accelerator. 5kph in 1st gear reaching 35-40 kph in 5th on a flat road. This is all the car will do, no miss in the engine, no back-fire just no power.

Have checked the air flow and all seems to be okay

Haven't used the air-cond and now the car is at the mechanic.

Yesterday we pulled the exhaust off to be sure that is was not blocked, but that was not the problem.

Thanks for your offer of help

Jak

Jakflash
10-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Hi Steve

The light was intermittent - when I had the car was diagnostic checked by the mechanic the crank angle sensor was supposed to be the fault - this is why it was replaced. My thought was that this was not the problem as my understanding of a crank angle sensor was that if it was faulty the engine would not start - it either worked or it didn't.

The ECU was sent away and checked and supposedly a couple of solders were re-done by the repair people.

Jak

Jakflash
16-04-2007, 12:19 AM
Thanks for the assistance that was offered.

The Car Is Running Again - Revs and Drives again .......

BUT the management light is still on.

This was supposedly the crank angle sensor BUT after replacing it at the advice of the mechanic, along with all the other items that have been replaced, the light is still on.

NOW I just need to find out why the light is still on????

Jak