PDA

View Full Version : Our Beat tries to set itself on fire!

marge602
23-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Hi folks. Me and my sister have just got to the bottom of a mystery. Sometime last year, not long after our Beat had arrived, a large burn mark appeared in the drivers seat. Since my sister smokes, i figured she'd been careless and burnt the seat, which she went to great lengths to deny. I had to admit it would be hard to burn the seat you were sat on and figured maybe it was something i'd missed when i bought it.
So, my sis has been driving it to work for the last week or so, while her Civic had work done for the MOT. I was away last week and got in our micro machine to find another burn mark. Again, my sis denied burning the seat, saying she only smokes in the Civic cos it's her own car. Then it occured to us.
Our car has a non-standard nearside mirror glass, which has been ground down from something unlikely to be car derived, and has a massive magnification effect, enough to make it hard to see out of. Since both burns are in exactly the same plane, but in different places on the seat, it transpires the heat from the sun reflects off the mirror and concentrates on the seat when the car is parked in the right(or wrong) place, and causes it to actually burn into it! We could have been a few degrees C from a full-on blaze with insurance claim. I've included a pic which shows the first repaired mark and the new one, which has even melted the vinyl on the side. Anyone know where i can get a standard mirror glass?

Yours absolutely amazed

Marge

Wh1teLeopard
23-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Wow!

:eek:

I didn't think that was possible! It's a good job you caught it before it caught a blaze!

Hope you find some glass that will be ok, is there nothing you can do in the mean-time?

marge602
23-04-2007, 09:27 PM
I didn't think it was possible either! Just gonna stick some duct tape over it for the meantime. It's almost useless as a mirror anyway.

Marge

old'uns
23-04-2007, 09:29 PM
close call! looks like you'll be bidding on seat cover on fleabay then;)
off topic, found FM expander in shed sunday, still need one?

TADO
23-04-2007, 09:47 PM
:eek: wow! glad you worked it out before something more serious happened :)

DaX
24-04-2007, 01:29 AM
I am utterly amazed. This should be on Discovery Channel's "Engineering Disasters"! :)

Paul w
24-04-2007, 10:09 AM
It reminds me of those sunshine recorders, maybe you should just get your seats calibrated into hours....

PW

marge602
24-04-2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks guys. Gonna get my girlfriend to sew it up, like with the last one. Would be most interested in that band expander though Dave. How much do you want for it?

Yours still amazed

Marge

old'uns
24-04-2007, 10:37 PM
its free, its the one i found after putting radio back with new expander!
may not work but worth a go.
i'll put in post this week.

not bidding on seat cover then?