PDA

View Full Version : CYL sensor

Midship
29-03-2003, 10:01 PM
I remember reading a post about these sensor breaking and the post said that when the sensor is tested it should read between 700-1000 ohms

My engine management light was not flashing code nine however my sensor is giving a reading of 670 ohms, should it be replaced?

Just thought id get a second opinion before i give honda a call!

Thanks
:D

Adam
30-03-2003, 03:12 AM
The short answer is no.
The meters do not give you an exact value. Even the censor has a cretin tolerance, because the manufacturer can't say for cretin.

When you buy a 100 ohm resistor, its not really 100 ohm. It might be 80, 90, 105 and even 120. The ohmmeter itself has a cretin resistance as well as the cable. Analogue components have estimated values, as it is impossible to mass-produce something to its exact value.

Steve_M
30-03-2003, 06:19 PM
Your really looking for continuity really, the CYL sensor is just a coil of wire so a resistance of a certain degree should be found.

Also a check to ground should also be made just in case of a short in the housing.

HTH

tinytim
01-04-2003, 08:07 PM
What does this Cyl sensor do?

I'm asking because if Cylinder Sensor = Metal temperature sensor this could be the culprit for those with a 7000 rpm restriction.

Logic behind this assumption.

A metal temp sensor is usually put in the block to pick up a fault sooner than the coolant sensor and specific to combustion problem. Generally, as the metal temp rises the sensor resistance changes. The ECU constantly measures this resistance and if it exceeds the perameters set, the ECU will do something, I suspect reduce fueling by limiting throttle movement and for simplicities sake this is probably not stepped so if temp >x then throttle movement is limited to y, hence people find they are limited to the 7000rpm area rather than a spectrum of bad performers.

I am also assuming that if the ECU sences an open or short circuit it will ignore the reading and flag up a fault code.

Sorry this doesn't help you JohnD unless you're finding the top end of your rev band has dropped.

Comments/suggestions
Is this worth looking into for those who have the 7000 problem?

adrianp
01-04-2003, 09:03 PM
Hi Tim,

Nice try but unfortunately we have already thought of this...

Mine was showing the code 9 fault for this along with the 7250 rpm limit so we changed the sensor when Steve did my timing belt. unfortunately it didn't make any difference except that it doesn't show the fault code any more...

We still have a couple of ideas though so all might not be lost (yet...), we just need some time for me and Steve to get together and sort a few things out...

Adrian.

:bounce:

P.S.

The sensor basically does what it says, it senses what position the No. 1 cylinder is in...

Midship
02-04-2003, 02:16 AM
I think im going to replace it, theres seems to have been plastic or something melting out of it at one stage. Its workin for now but i dont want it breaking in a year or twos time-its in such an awkward place
Hopefully my beat will be like brand new soon enough, Heres some of the parts thats going into it

Gearbox with 40 k on it
Suspension all round wit 40k
new Waterpump
new piston rings
new timing belt
new timbelt tensioner and roller
new CLY sensor
new Clutch rel baring
new Clutch plate
new Pressure plate
new dizzy cap and rota + Ht leads
new dizzy and camshaft 4000K ago