PDA

View Full Version : Warm Starting problems

Ash
08-04-2003, 05:37 PM
Hello
My Beat is fine apart from the difficulty it has starting when engine is warm.
It has been serviced (with new plugs) and I'm wondering if it is running too rich? Could this the cause of hot starting problems?
Do Beats need tuning?
And is this easy to do?

Thanks in Advance for help.
Ash Nehmet
Newcastle Upon Tyne

adrianp
08-04-2003, 06:00 PM
Hi Ash,

Does it always have trouble starting when warm or is only now and again???

Also, when you do have problems, if you leave it for 10 mins does it then start OK????

If it only does it now and again and is ok if left for a few minutes then it is most likely to be the fuel pump relay.

If you post back with some answers then hopefully we can got you sorted out...

Adrian.

Robin
08-04-2003, 07:53 PM
I wonder how many people on here have now been affected by the fuel relay on the beat?
Adam if you read this post i have a question for you. You took someones old fule pump relay and drilled holes into it didnt you? is that all you did and is it now perfect?
Its just i am having a lot of trouble trying to get the fuel pump relay from Honda so if its possible to fix this one then that would be great.
Cheers
Robin

adrianp
08-04-2003, 08:11 PM
Hi Robin,

I think if you can manage to take your relay apart and VERY carefully re-solder ALL of the connections then hopefully it could cure the problem...

Steve M. had a look at one the other week and found that one of the soldered joints had fractured which meant that it wasn't making a permanent connection once it had got warm...

I think that the drilling of holes is just to help keep the temperature down slightly but since it lives tucked behind a pannel then I'm not too sure what difference this will actually make.

Hope this helps

Adrian

Adam
08-04-2003, 11:57 PM
Trust me Adrian, the biggest problem in electronics is the dissipation of heat. So whatever you can do to reduce it you should do. Try and put your computer in the cupboard and see how long it lasts. That’s why your: VCR, TV, RADIO, MONITOR has vents to let heat escape. I have to deal with this everyday.

You should do what Adrian said but make sure that you use high melting point solder not that really thin stuff and drill lots of holes in the casing and you will never need to do it again.

Ash
09-04-2003, 08:49 AM
Thanks for your response.

When cold it starts straight away.
After a drive and stopped for a few minutes, the starter chuggs away and eventually it does start. It does this everytime, not now and again -but I've only had for a few weeks and only with limited use.

Up until now it has always started -just with difficulty so I haven't had to leave it 10 minutes, but I guess that would help it.

Thanks
Ash Nehmet

Robin
09-04-2003, 02:42 PM
When removing the fuel pump relay do i have to disconect the battery or not?

Thanks
Rob

Jason
09-04-2003, 10:48 PM
Ash,

I was reading somewhere that warm start problems could also be due to percolation. I think you still need to determine whether it is the fuel pump relay. This is relatively easy; simply turn the ignition key and you should hear the fuel pump start. Failing this, try opening and closing the fuel cap and the boot to let any trapped heat escape.

Hope this helps

Jason :)

Adam
10-04-2003, 12:41 AM
No you don't need to disconnect the battery.

Ash
11-04-2003, 09:14 AM
I will follow Jason's suggestion and test the Relay and also release any trapped vapour.
I am away from the car and will be back on Bank Holiday.

I take it from comments that tuning the car won't be the issue and also isn't a problem.

Thanks
Ash Nehmet