PDA

View Full Version : ECU

Jason
10-04-2003, 02:40 AM
Me again,

I'm sure that this topic has been discussed before but I can't seem to find the thread. I was reading somewhere that eratic idling can be due to a faulty ECU. I remember someone replacing a capacitor or the like to rectify the problem. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Jason :)

Steve_M
10-04-2003, 08:08 AM
ECU failure has accounted for one Beat i have looked at for an idle problem (surging from 500 to 2000 rpm, engine light on).

Another Beat had poor pickup in revs, and if held at 2000 rpm would just cough and splutter, putting black smoke out the exhaust as it was over fueling.

Both these ECU's has Blown Capacitors (differant ones thou) but they are the items that Japanese Websites speak of that give problems.

Unfortunately replacement of the blown capacitor has not repaired either of those ECU's and ECU replacement was the only other option (@ £600) as I was unable to find anyone one prepared to look at a Beat ECU.

HTH

Jason
10-04-2003, 09:50 AM
Steve,

Fortunately my car's engine light doesn't come on, nor does it surge that dramatically. I have noticed that occassionally the idle may be as low as 800 rpm then slowly climb back to 1200rpm after stopping at the lights. Is this normal?

Regards

Jason :rolleyes:

john m
10-04-2003, 10:26 AM
Jason,
That sometimes happens to mine too, especially if the stereo is being used. I think that this is the engine adjusting to the electrical drain of the stereo while at idle.

John

Steve_M
10-04-2003, 07:49 PM
Well poss just a base idle setting is needed, worth a go.

But you could really do with using a decent RPM meter, as the cars one is not that accurate really.

1) With the engine warmed up, remove the plug from the EACV (idle valve) (2 pin plug on the long tube like valve on top of the inlet manifold)

2) Set the idle speed to 850 rpm using the screw which is under the black rubber grommet. (also on top of the inlet manifold at the end of the EACV)

3) Once set, turn off engine, reconnect 2 pin plug to EACV, remove the 7.5A ECU fuse from the engine bay fuse box for 10 secs + to clear engine codes.

4) Restart engine, idle speed should be 1200 rpm

HTH

Jason
10-04-2003, 11:59 PM
Steve,

Could you send me a picture of where to find EACV valve? In addition I have a good RPM meter but am unsure where to connect it to. It requires one end to be connected to the battery (easy) and the other to be connected to the coil low tension connector (where I'm not sure).

Regards

Jason :)