PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox help needed :(

Midship
12-04-2003, 09:25 PM
As you all know ive rebuilt my engine, earlier today I put in the new engine along with a gearbox that I had purchased from another beat enthusiast claiming it was in perfect working order with 40k on it. I took their word on the gearbox being in PWO.

The problem is, I have it all connected back up and almost ready to be driven and the gearbox seems to be stuck in reverse! The cables are connected up correctly. Even when the cables are disconnected it wont change between gears like the old gearbox that was in it.

It was an enormous job fitting it all and im not sure if I could face taking it back out and doing it all over again.

Could there be some other reason why its not changing between gears? Should I finish off putting the last few bits and pieces on, and see if it drives?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, the beat is my only means of transport, I no longer have a loan car and it’s either get this fixed or get the bus :(

Thanks in Advance

Steve_M
12-04-2003, 09:35 PM
Difficult one with out being able to see/feel it.

It could be that some thing on the selector side of the box has got stuck etc. due to the box being out of a car/ on its end etc.

with the selector cable off you should be able to use one of them to shift 1-2 then move the other so that the first then does 3-4 and further on the other so you get 5 and then the definate lick for reverse.

why do you think its stuck in reverse??

perhaps with it all assembled and try it, that may free some thing off.

HTH

Midship
12-04-2003, 09:52 PM
Thanks steve,

With the cables off the two selectors seem to be in the reverse position when i compare it with my old gearbox. Also when the cables are connected the gear stick is in the reverse position.

Im not too familiar with how gearboxs work. Do you think my best bet is to put the drive shafts back in and see what happens when i start the engine? or should i take the gearbox off now and drop it in to some gearbox place to see whats wrong with it?

Steve_M
12-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Right, So the gearbox is in reverse.

Can you not then move the gearlever when it is all connected up??? or is it stuck???

Midship
13-04-2003, 01:48 AM
Its stuck!

Steve_M
13-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Well it would seem unless you can release it from reverse by moving the selector levers externally, perhaps try tapping the one thats movement goes left/right across the car (this is the backwards/forwards movement of the gearlever) tap it back to upright.

Otherwise the box will have to come out and be stripped to investigate the selectors.

Midship
13-04-2003, 05:06 PM
I have taken the gearbox back out and what a horrible, horrible job it was! All I can say is god help any one with a dodgy clutch or gearbox-you have a horrible job ahead of you!

Ill put up a post when it’s stripped and I know whats wrong