PDA

View Full Version : Luggage rack clamps

marge602
05-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Hi folks

When i first got my Beat, it had a luggage rack on the engine cover. Reasoning that i wouldn't need to carry any luggage with it, i took it off and put it in the shed. Now, what with me moving house, and eventually bringing the Beat here months later, i've lost the clamps that hold it on. Any idea where i might get more? I'm sure someone on here knows an ingenious solution.

Marge

LEE.W.
05-02-2009, 06:51 PM
If theres any chance of you borrowing one of these clamps perhaps you could just post a piccy of it and i could say whether or not it would be possible to make some up for you.Give me a few close up shots if possible.Would this solution be any help?

marge602
06-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Ah, i see what you mean. Are you a fabricator/welder/machinist? If so i could do an engineering drawing of what i need. I'm a fabricator by trade, but am doing something else currently, so have no access to any equipment.

Cheers

Marge

LEE.W.
08-02-2009, 08:26 PM
CNC machinist by trade so an engineering drawing will be fine.Dont forget to put as much info as u can incl mat'l. I,ll see then what i can do.

marge602
11-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Cool. I might be a while dreaming something up, but i'll pm you with something in a few weeks. Won't need the rack til August anyway. Me and my intended plan to take our Beat on honeymoon.

Thanks

Marge

Beat Bug
16-02-2009, 02:40 PM
The luggage rack on my first Beat was bolted on. And if I remember correctly, the weight limit was only a few kilos!

marge602
17-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Yeah, i've seen those before. Mine's got four large rubber suction feet, and the clamps attached to the side rails, and to the edges of the engine lid. My guess is it's a universal type, for MGFs, MX5s etc. Hopefully it'll hold more than a few kilos too! We shall see....

Marge

LawrenceHarding
17-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Hopefully it'll hold more than a few kilos too! We shall see....

Marge

Bear in mind that even if the rack will hold more the boot lid might not.

marge602
17-02-2009, 09:19 PM
That had crossed my mind too. Guess we'll have to pack light. Good job we're only going for 3 days!

unclejemima
19-02-2009, 06:25 AM
Marge, I might have a set that I could give you. My beat came without the luggage rack, but has the bolts/clamp and such still on it. Is this the clamp you are talking about?
I'll take pics tomorrow and see if this is what you need.

marge602
24-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Cool. That'd be great. I can't really remember what they looked like, but if you can post pics it'll probably jog my memory. Haven't been on for a few days, so apologies for my tardiness in getting back to you.