PDA

View Full Version : Air Con gas

Robin
17-04-2003, 05:05 PM
I think the air con gas is low on my beat. When i had the MX5 i was told that if you turn on the air con the engine should rev up slightly higher to compensate for the extra power and that you should hear the compressor kick in. Neither of these things happen when i turn on the air con and the air isnt cold either.

I read another post a while back about some sort of conversion needing to be done, is that true and is it expensive? As i have to spend money on getting my wheels refurbished and also a tiny blip of rust on my door sil. Are we talking big money for the air con or not?
Cheers
Robin

Steve_M
17-04-2003, 08:28 PM
Cost will really depend on who you can find to do it.

I got a guy to do mine for £20, others will say £100.

R12 gas is no longer available, the system can be converted over to the new type gas R134, but this can be costly.

There is now a gas which is compatable with the R12, (not sure what its called) it does cost more than R134, but the system does not need converting.

Look in the Yellow pages for Auto Air Conditioning engineers.

HTH

tinytim
17-04-2003, 11:01 PM
Robin,

I'm suffering the same problem. I suspect the clutch in the AC compressor rather than a lack of gas. This is generally the case if there is no change in revs because if the clutch comes in the compressor will be put under load even with minimal gas in the system.
I'll be having a look this weekend and I'll let you know.

Advice welcome from anyone with any experience on the AC compressor.

Tim

Steve_M
17-04-2003, 11:07 PM
If the gas pressure is too low then the pressure switch, (mounted under the sight glass) contact wont be made and therefore no operation of fan or A/C compresssor clutch.

A fault A/C clutch would mean that you would get condenser fan operation but no compressor so no cold air.

bridge the two wire on the pressure switch for a moment, this will bring the compressor and condensor fans on, thus checking their operation, and showing that gas pressure is too low.

HTH

tinytim
18-04-2003, 12:11 AM
Thanks for that Steve,

I'll be out first thing in the morning, split pin in hand.:D

Tim

tinytim
18-04-2003, 11:22 PM
Thanks for that little gem earlier Steve, I would have spent a couple of hours at the wrong end of the car I'm sure.
It's low gas on mine so now it's a case of finding out if the system has been converted.