PDA

View Full Version : oil in air box

beecee
07-04-2009, 05:28 PM
:mad:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/beecee1/DSC00277.jpg
never seen this before in any car , the air filter looked like it was never changed from new , well not that bad but you get the idea . any ides what caused this , and a cure if possible ?
BRIAN

bigB
07-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Its common to have some oil residue in there as your PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) feeds into the airbox.
Since the filter hasn't been changed in a long time, I wouldn't worry about it, but check it every once in a while. Excessive blow by or high crankcase pressures will cause this.
I've seen some oil catch tanks (an oil/air separator) spliced inline to remedy the situation if it becomes excessive.
Wipe it up, start the engine and spray some throttle body cleaner into the intakes. It'll clean the intake manifold of all the oil residue as well.

beecee
07-04-2009, 10:16 PM
ah , so i can stop panicking :) , many thanks .
BRIAN

Wh1teLeopard
08-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Mine looked exactly the same the first time we looked at it.

TADO
08-04-2009, 02:47 PM
ours had some in it too, tho not quite as much as that. a catch tank is something ive been meaning to get round to doing for ages now!

Steve_M
08-04-2009, 04:35 PM
This is fairly normal on most beats.
Caused by a bit of blow by on the pistons causing slightly higher than normal crankcase pressure.

Oil mist is picked up in the rocker cover and comes out with the crankcase gases into the air box and the gases are then taken into reburn.

To help you could remove the rocker cover and check and clean out the channels in the top of it where the crankcase gases come out (may be a bit of carbon/oil sludge build up.

Otherwise an engine rebuild with either new rings/bore hone or rebore and oversize pistons to redue the blowby.

beecee
09-04-2009, 07:29 AM
thank's folk's
BRIAN

stuartsmith
19-11-2010, 01:59 AM
Hi, I would like to know location of pcv valve so i can clean it, can not find it, must be between crankshaft and inlet area.Have checked my cd disc listing
parts, to no avail [honda says its a inline hose].I know if blocked would
give extra oil pressure.any answers . Cheers::help:http://php?u=9011

Steve_M
19-11-2010, 09:08 AM
There is no PCV valve.

The engine breaths via the oil separator in the top of the rocker cover via the pipe from rocker cover to Air filter/throttle housing.

There is no direct connection to the inlet manifold to require a PCV valve.

Making sure that the inside of the rocket cover is gunk free and that the pipe is clear are the only real requirements.

As many Beats smoke a bit then this will allow some extra blowby gas and a little heavier breathing.

stuartsmith
21-11-2010, 09:33 PM
There is no PCV valve.

The engine breaths via the oil separator in the top of the rocker cover via the pipe from rocker cover to Air filter/throttle housing.

There is no direct connection to the inlet manifold to require a PCV valve.

Making sure that the inside of the rocket cover is gunk free and that the pipe is clear are the only real requirements.

As many Beats smoke a bit then this will allow some extra blowby gas and a little heavier breathing.

Thanks ,For second opinion,confirmed my feeling. Stuartsmith.