PDA

View Full Version : VERY poorly beat!!!

Steve_M
31-08-2002, 10:27 PM
As some may know (Phil) and will pull my leg about it (Phil) my beat had a little problem at castle combe.

Well more like the driver had a little problem (Me). managed to stick it in 2nd when it should have been 4th and lets just say that a beat wont rev to something like 12000 rpm with out something going a miss.

Lets just say my beat came home on a trailer! whoops!!!

Steve M :(

adrianp
01-09-2002, 06:12 AM
OOPS :eek:

I know you said you wanted to do some work on the car over the winter but thats a bit of an extreme way of making sure you do....

Any ideas as to what the damage might be Steve??

Keep us all informed,

Adrian
UKHBC No59.
Ipswich

P.S.

I guess the CRX is now coming out to play for a while then...

Steve_M
01-09-2002, 01:41 PM
All valves are still where they are supposed to be!

No. 2 cylinder has low compression, half what No 1 and 3

One of the exhaust valves is not closing properly, it has a large tappet clearance, so presume valve is bent.

The Dismantle continues.

More Soon

adrianp
01-09-2002, 06:00 PM
:bounce:

Hi Steve,

Nigel from the Honda Enthusiasts Club says Oh Dear And hopes you sort the car soon

If it is only a bent valve then you have been rather lucky,

Just as a thought though, with the bent valve that Roz had, could it have been the same cause????? Just wondering....

Hope everything else turns out ok,

Adrian
UKHBC No.59
Ipswich

Steve_M
01-09-2002, 07:32 PM
Heads off!

No 2 cylinder one of the exhaust valves is bent, no signs of any other damage.

Its very possible that Roz's bent valve could also have been produced by over reving, the mystery unfolds :rolleyes:

Now for the clean up work to begin.

The engine block and gearbox are going to come out.

Engine: Complete strip. New piston rings and a bore hone.

Gearbox: poss strip and check bearings

Replace clutch while out and clean engine bay.

Steve M (with beat bits every where :eek:

Paul w
01-09-2002, 08:01 PM
Any chance of any pics steve?

PW

Steve_M
01-09-2002, 08:06 PM
Unless i can borrow the digital camera from work, or bring bits up to the computer to use the webcam there could be difficulty in getting pics cos my digital camera is away being repaired (I hope!)

Will see what i can do thou.

Steve M

Steve_M
03-09-2002, 06:54 PM
Make that 6 bent exhausts!!

MMMM getting pricey now!!!

:suicide:

Steve M

adrianp
03-09-2002, 08:23 PM
Hi Steve,

Hopefully that will be all the damage then,

I gather that, with the bending, the valves haven't damaged the guides at all??? otherwise as you said, it could end up getting a bit expensive...

With the receipt that came with mine when I bought it, I hope I never have that sort of problem...

Hope it all turns out ok in the end and you soon have it all sorted.

Adrian
UKHBC No.59
Ipswich

Steve_M
10-09-2002, 07:14 PM
6 exhaust valves arrived today, make that £200 worth of exhaust valves!! (and thats with my discount :( )

Am going to replace piston rings, valve stem oil seals, all head related gaskets etc and put a new clutch centre plate in.

Am cleaning up engine block etc.

The work continues

Steve M

Steve_M
29-09-2002, 04:12 PM
Recognise this bit???

;)

Steve M

adrianp
29-09-2002, 04:49 PM
Looks like a nice and shiny sump...(OK... so I cheated and looked it up in the parts catalogue.. :o )

So the cleaning is working well then Steve...!!!

How long did it take to get it looking like that then??

If it all cleans up like that then you won't want to put it back into the car - you will probably want to put in on display instead....:D

So, your camera is back then, Does that mean a series of pics on the progress???

Hope the re-build is going well

Talk soon

Adrian

Steve_M
29-09-2002, 05:59 PM
Yeap thats the sump pan, has been sand blasted and laquered, as has the rest of the engine.

And yeap have got my camera back from the repairs, so a few pictures are in order me thinks.

watch this space for more news

Steve_M
08-11-2002, 07:26 AM
The Engine is Done, All back in and Up and Running!!!

My Beat is back on the road!!!

All that remains to do is give it a Full Valet to make the rest of the car match that shiney engine.

And then the running in process, think it will be 6000 rpm max for a while :(

Pictures/website to follow

Paul w
08-11-2002, 08:24 PM
About time too!

Dont know what you were messing about at, its taken you ages!! :D

Nice one mate, we look forward to the 'Manser Manual'

PW

Steve_M
08-11-2002, 09:44 PM
Just a taster of the pics i took!!

Engine waiting to go in :cool:

Dion
10-11-2002, 03:22 PM
Hi Steve,

Glad to hear you've got your Beat running again. I bet you missed it!

Can you tell me what a MK2 CRX VTEC is like to live with?

Running costs, 0-60 times, MPG etc

I've had a Jap import 1.5 twin carb MK2 CRX, which was a little under powered.

I always wanted a CRX VTEC but could never afford one, until now.

Cheers mate,

Dion.

Steve_M
10-11-2002, 04:08 PM
Have certainly missed driving the beat, and well this week have driven 4 differant beats. My 2 Beats, adrian's beat and Roz's beat.

Cant be bad!

Well Ive had my CRX VTEC for 8 1/2 Years, and just could not replace it really.

On average you can get 30 mpg out of it, thats average sort of driving, get upto about 40 mpg on the motorway staying at 70 ;)
and can get it down to about 20 mpg if you keep VTEC in!!

I drive on a lot of poor B roads and worse and the CRX is not too stiff for that, but stiff enough for a nice quick twisty A road. and good for 130 (off the public road of course)

If only mine did not have 120,000 miles on it now, it had 20,000 when i bought it and those 100,000 miles have been enjoyable.

Dion
10-11-2002, 05:06 PM
Steve,

Thanks for the info. I'm seriously thinking of getting a VTEC in the near future.

I'll let you know when I do.

Dion

Paul w
12-11-2002, 04:00 PM
Ah.....it takes me back!

My first 'proper' sports car was a MK2 CRX. It was the old shape (no glass tail gate) with the new 1.6 engine. It was a fantastic car, but a bit prone to rot. Parts were a nightmare though, as most dealers said 'they didnt make a 1.6 E reg CRX' I bought it at 125k miles and sold at over 145k!!

I moved on to a proper mark 2 CRX, a G plate in silver. Another corking car but seemed a tad slower than the earlier one (or less frantic!)

Next came a prelude (2.0 4ws) but i couldnt shake the CRX bug, so i got rid and got an ESI convertible. (just before i started hairdressing.....:))

They are amongst the best cars i've ever owned, and i'm hoping my type R will prove to be the spiritual successor! ;)

PW