PDA

View Full Version : Distributor

jazzman
09-05-2003, 04:38 PM
Hi,
my wife bought a fabulous yellow beat a couple of years ago, and since that time, our only real arguments have been about me constantly borrowing her car.

However, on the way to work yesterday, I was driving in the rush hour traffic when the car lost all its power and coasted to a halt.

When I got the car I paid the main Honda dealer for a full service, including replacing the cam belt, and also the distributor cap.

The distributor cap subsequently needed replacement about 5 months ago.

The garage tells me that the current problem is due to a seized distributor which has stripped/broken the worm gear on the end of the camshaft.

Is this a known problem? I have read warnings to check that the distributor is not too tight.

Help!!

Do I need to remortgage the house?

PS

If you still have any zebra material avail or CD changer I would also be interested.

Ta

jazzman
09-05-2003, 04:49 PM
The garage has just called back to say that as the gear is not removeable, I will also need new camshaft and timing belt.....

AAARGHHH!!

:help:

Steve_M
09-05-2003, 07:16 PM
Well a new camshaft, thats not too bad, just as long as the belt did not break and its bent the valves, then thats a head off job.

Other wise your looking at a
New camshaft £318.60
new cambelt £32.94
new distributor £217.19

And around about 4.6 hours labour

If head has to come off and bent valves, your looking at

Gasket set £121.50
Exhaust valves £37.86 each (x6)
Inlet valves £22.94

and more like 7.4 hours labour

to give you an idea.

I have a CD chnager if your after one, see message in For sale section, or PM me

Midship
09-05-2003, 09:31 PM
Sorry to hear that jazzman!

The exact same thing happened to my beloved beat before i purchased it, i bought a new dizzy, camshaft and timing belt too.

I have ordered a brand new dizzy, dizzy cap and rota arm for a friend of mine with the same problem, however he recently he got fed up wating so i got him a used one (thanks steve)

If you would be interested in buying that new dizzy i would be willing to sell it for for a good bit cheaper than the honda price. i should be able to get it to you before honda aswell (my dizzy camshaft and belt took 3 weeks) It should be delevered early next week to me so if your interested in it send me a PM! or email

I Also have a few main relays coming in, if anyone needs one PM me!!