PDA

View Full Version : Beat Interior

Robin
21-05-2003, 10:22 AM
I was looking around some websites about Beats and i have noticed how good they look when people have painted some of the inside panels.
I dont suppose anyone knows what paint to use and if its easy to do or not? How hard is it to remove interios panels to paint them?
Thanks alot guys
Robin

Steve_M
22-05-2003, 08:01 PM
I know Halfords sell paint for interior trim etc. Im not sure how good it is etc. Think some other companies do trim paint as well.

Most Beat interior trimj is quite easy to remove, but if you want to remove the two grey panels on the dash then that is a dash out job, thats not too bad thou.

HTH

Rotorboy65
23-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Paint you need is made by Foliatec, you can get it from Demon Tweeks and other "style/boy racer" outlets,hth Leigh.

ozsamurai
23-05-2003, 07:58 AM
The interiors your reffering to on my site etc. aren't painted for the most part, I have seen a few guys do it to just for a 'slap together job' it doesn't look good and peels and chips in a short time, If you want to do it, you must use a surfacer such as PP1 Plastic Polymer spray to coat the piece so other paint will take a grip. The more common color change on the panels, dash/door is \done with rubberized cloth covering, leatherette etc. takes about an afternoon of labour and is more durable. the only advantage of paint over cloth is the flexibility, personally I have seen the best results from a combination of both
http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/ozsamurai/Bimages/inte.dorutibarir.jpg

wanna see the process go to sensational beat, link on my page

Cheers!

Ozsamurai

Robin
23-05-2003, 10:17 AM
Thanks guys. I dont know anywhere on the island who sells yellow vinyl though, were a bot short on car shops too. all i have found is the plastic primer and the yellow paint that halfords sell so i will have to try that.
Do you think it might be worth giving the panels a very light sand first just so the primer and paint have something to grip too?
Ill post pics when its all done.
Also if people could give details of any special instructions on how to remove panels that would be appreciated.
cheers guys

ozsamurai
23-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Robin
When I did the panels yellow on mine (cloth) I first undercoated them with a white base coat so the dark panel color wouldn't come through the cloth. A light sanding isn't going to help much as the surface is uneven, you'll just rub the pattern off. The adhesion problem is purely from the oils that seep from the plastics panel causing 'oil bubbles' in the paint. If you have your heart set on doing the painting thing, then this is what I did

1. take the door panel off, 2 screws in the handle, 1 in the latch cover, 2 at the very top front (5 in all), then pry (from the bottom) the clips out, they sound like they're going to break it scared the sh**t out of me when I first did it, slide the panel up and remove

2. When you turn it over you will see the screws for removing the upper half, and there are some tabs on the window sealer that need to be straigtened to remove that

ozsamurai
23-05-2003, 11:30 AM
3. I washed the entire panel down with brake cleaner first, then gave it a thorough scrub with the best grease removing dishwashing liquid I could find (Palmolive) using a stiff brush.
4, Prep done I gave the panels the lightest coat of paint, looked like it was speckled, and slowly build up the coats

I can't overstress the preparation stage, I know you want to jump on in and paint stuff but, one of my panels that I spent the time on to properly clean was OK and the other one had little oil spots here and there, if I hadn't intended to cover it with cloth anyway it would have been a hell of a job to remove the paint again (pattern surface etc). And another point is that I love the yellow look on the doors but it impossible to keep clean, little grotty black bits find their way into the pattern. Hope this helps

Cheers!
Ozsamurai

Robin
23-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Thanks Ozsamurai, thats a great help. It has made me rethink whether i should paint it or try and find somewhere to get vinyl.
How much vinyl did it take to do your car? i want to cover the two door panels, the two dash panels and the console with the gear stick and hand brake in it.
Is it difficult to cover the parts in vinyl?
Thanks alot

Paul w
23-05-2003, 03:36 PM
Now theres a project for you ade!! your colours too!

PW

ozsamurai
23-05-2003, 03:40 PM
at a 90cm width it took 2 meters, I bought 2.5 for fudge factor consideration, just for the door upper panels, the gear shift boot I bought (see my page) because it was easier & cheaper than sewing one and like wise would be advisable for the hand brake cover, made the arm rest myself from the left over material and a few mouse pads (my secret). I personally didn't do the dash panels for two reasons
1. Too damn bright, and too much yellow inside, I feel its a little over kill
2. Pulling out the entire dashboard is a daunting task even for seasoned vetrans. more PITA factor than needed.

You want to order a shift boot and side brake cover in Yellow give us a yell, I want a side brake cover as well to match my shift boot

Cheers!

OzSamurai

Rotorboy65
23-05-2003, 05:55 PM
Robin you say you are on the Isle of Wight,there should be a good bodyshop that could do the work for you. If not there is a place in the Blandford area called Dawsons they have a very good reputaion for spraying bodykits etc. Maybe worth taking a trip over on the ferry, they do interior spraying to a very high standard cant remember the web address but if you pump in say Dawson bodyshop in your search engine it would probably come up with something. Or why not go for leather trimming instead when we had the Beat we were quoted about £600 for seats,door panels and gear gaiter etc, that was from a company in Southampton so not too far away. They did a new roof for us and their work is to a high standard,HTH cheers Leigh.

Adam
24-05-2003, 05:16 PM
I covered my door panels with the same fabric as the seats but it wasn't thick enough and the places were I put a lot of glue it went through it. So now I will need to do it again.

ozsamurai
25-05-2003, 01:09 AM
That re-covering is going to be a messy job. Since mine are getting grotty I have to do the same soon, maybe a different color, like the black though... I made sure I used rubberised cloth for mine no seepage here....

tinytim
26-05-2003, 07:10 PM
Robin,
You seem to be getting lots of good advice on this, which I'm listening to as I have similar plans only in green and ? (maybe purple if I can get some of that Jaguar paint for a sensible price £250/litre????) I've got a green version z.
My wifes family are from Newport so next time I'm over I'll drop you a line. Anything I can get from the mainland I'll bring over and I'd love to see how you get on.

Tim

Adam
26-05-2003, 07:22 PM
£250/ litre? Who gave you that quote? That’s ridicules, its only paint.

tinytim
26-05-2003, 07:26 PM
It's that stuff that changes colour as the light scorce moves. You're right,,,bloody rediculous price. Hence I'll wait.

Adam
26-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Oh OK, I still think these guys are smoking something. You might do a little better if you shop around

tinytim
26-05-2003, 08:18 PM
OK SORRY
I had got the price wrong it's not £250 per litre,,,,,

It's only £225!!! + VAT so £264.

http://www.rage-extreme.com/products/illusion.asp

Has anyone sprayed a Beat this stuff needs 2 part paint to 1 part thinners and 3-5 coats?

ozsamurai
27-05-2003, 12:02 AM
I know your all getting excited about painting etc.. but I'm going to have to throw another warning out here...I saw heaps of people that had done it a MTB, for the most part, it looks crap

1. The paint chips (not for a year apparently, but eventually)
2. It shines too much for my liking
3. The surface is extreeemly hard to prepare.

That's all, my firm advise is cloth/leatherette for the panels and small highlights in paint (speaker surrrounds etc.) I wouldn't go crazy with painting, I think you'll regret it later

Cheers

OzSamurai

Next time I'll try and get some photo's of the painted interiors a year later for the site.....

Paul w
27-05-2003, 12:14 AM
Is the paint cheaper today in japan as you got it shaken for free?

(hope all is ok!)

PW

Robin
27-05-2003, 01:06 AM
Thanks for all the advice thats being given here its a great help.

Oz i would love to cover all the panels in a leatherette or cloth. im just not sure how to do it. how did you attach it to the panels?
what did you need to do? any preparation needed or did you just put it on? Have you got any pics of your car with it or pics of you actually doing the work?
thanks for all your help its great
cheers
rob

ozsamurai
27-05-2003, 07:29 AM
At first I tried contact adhesive, that was terrible, I ended up using normal white glue, fabric, plastic available at any craft store, glue the fabric to the top of the panel first, put glue on the panel not the fabric. It will still slide around a bit so you have a bit of freedom...keep coating with glue (brush on) down the panel smoothing out wrinkles, bubbles etc as you go, don't be in too big of a rush to get it all on there, take it section at a time, take care around the indented areas (door handle etc). When the panel is thoroughly dry, cut X marks in the areas for the holes and re attach the completed panel to the door. I'm sorry I don't have pics, I didn't think to take any. I have also heard one guy who did it an even easier way with double sided tape...of course I didn't hear about it until I'd done the glue thing... whichever suits your style.

hope it helps

OzSamurai

adrianp
27-05-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Paul w
Now theres a project for you ade!! your colours too!

PW

It's already been considered Paul but at the moment a new roof is going to take priority (Oh, and my new spoiler of course...)

Adrian.
:bounce: