PDA

View Full Version : K&N air filter in a Beat

bigB
11-11-2010, 12:44 AM
So....:), my stock one was getting bad, and a new one delivered was about 70 quid, and I had this K&N reusable panel filter from something else, chop/cut/glue, put them together, and i will never have to buy an air filter again.

maiku
16-11-2010, 07:09 PM
This is great to know.
I already got a new HAMP filter from Japan, but I'll do this next time.

Obsessive
29-12-2010, 03:16 AM
Nice job bigB. :)

I popped my filter out today and it was clogged up! Have given it a clean but it has certainly seen better days.

I shall be having a crack at your modification job soon, just waiting on a new K&N filter I found at the dead right price on trade me (NZ ebay!) :D

chop/cut/glue, put them together, and i will never have to buy an air filter again.

What glue did you use?

bigB
29-12-2010, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the props. I believe I used 3M windshield Urethane, or maybe autobody seamsealer. Whatever I had surplus at the time.

Obsessive
29-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Thanks, I've noticed a big difference since cleaning up the original paper filter, the Beat now seems much happier at low revs and can even manage a hill start! Beforehand it really struggled below 3000rpm. The sun visors used to vibrate at idle as well. No more :)

I'll let you know how the K&N job goes in the new year as the paper filter is still grimy so can't wait to see what difference it makes.

hondzilla
30-12-2010, 07:46 PM
wich type k&n filter you are using.
Want to order one so i can do the same to my car

bigB
31-12-2010, 05:32 AM
I have no idea what the filter was supposed to fit. Mine was of the cylindrical type. I got it at a flea market for a toonie ($2CAN).

It is the type that is easily cleaned, re-oiled, then put back in for another 40,000km.

The idea of the thread is : if you can't get a factory one, find a reusable one for cheap, and make it work,

Obsessive
04-01-2011, 09:19 PM
OK, I've now hacked the old paper filter and replaced it. The Beat can now breath! This is certainly a job worth doing, I can now hear the air getting sucked into the engine :D

fxdlidon
28-05-2011, 11:35 AM
Did mine using a sheet of this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAMAIR-Air-Filter-Foam-Large-Scooter-Motorcycle-Quad-/390316591251 and a thin aluminium plate to support the foam in the filter frame. Car feels like it can breathe again:)