PDA

View Full Version : Honey i shrunk the lid !

beecee
03-12-2010, 05:31 PM
My vinyl top has shrunk a little and closing the first 2 studs is impossible , i am hoping to give it an overhaul and get it cleaned etc , before i do is there a way of stretching it a bit ?? .

BRIAN .

robertobini
04-12-2010, 04:06 PM
I do not believe it is possible to stretch vinyl. However, on the Japanese Yahoo auction site they offer a fitment to be screwed on the frame part of the hood in place of the old male part. It consists of a rotating offset disc with a male stud to take the vinyl clip. Jesse Streeter in Japan is your very efficient middle man.
Alternatively just screw the male stud in a different position. The old holes can be easily filled up and painted over with a spot of black. "SIMPLES!"

Steve_M
04-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Try a good few applications of autoglym plastic conditioner.
It certainly make the vinyl more supple and allows you to stretch it back to the front popper.

beecee
04-12-2010, 09:54 PM
If it can shrink , it can stretch :p ......
I have 2 sand bags hanging from the studs on either side , i will leave them on over night for a few nights and see what happens , if not ill try some products .

BRIAN .

Steve_M
05-12-2010, 09:27 AM
It will definitely streatch but I definately think you will find you will get much better result if you get more flexibility into it first. Otherwise it may just crack and tear

beecee
05-12-2010, 06:48 PM
True , It can't do it any harm to condition it anyway , I'm really
Enjoying having the Beat back on the road :)