PDA

View Full Version : Gas Strut for boot lid!

Obsessive
23-03-2011, 08:35 AM
After snapping my 3rd boot lid stay I decided there had to be a better way..

Believe it or not but the strut came from a Lada Riva! :D It was the only one I could find that was the right size.

robertobini
23-03-2011, 01:27 PM
After snapping my 3rd boot lid stay I decided there had to be a better way..

Believe it or not but the strut came from a Lada Riva! :D It was the only one I could find that was the right size.

I too have been wishing to fit a strut to the boot lid. Could you please give the actual dimensions (closed and open) as the chance of finding a Lada Riva at a breaker's in my area are negligible. Many thanks.
Robert

Obsessive
23-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Closed 280mm
Open 470mm

The force of the gas strut does push the hinge side of the boot up by about 2 to 3mm when shut.
I have raised the hinge cover plates to the same height to compensate for this and it looks fine, but beforehand it looked odd!
The strut I have used seems about perfect, as I can close it with both hands (be it with some effort). I'd avoid using one that has plenty of grunt.

Note: May not work if you have a rear strut brace as they may cross paths. I'm intending to get one so it could be interesting when the time comes :eek:

The other fun part was securing it at both ends. Let me know if you need any info on this.

steveinjapan
24-03-2011, 03:34 AM
Great idea! I'm constantly needing a third hand when I go to the boot Wish there was an easier fix though....

Obsessive
24-03-2011, 07:50 AM
Great idea! I'm constantly needing a third hand when I go to the boot Wish there was an easier fix though....

It wasn't that hard to fit, the worst bit was getting a bolt in behind the boot lid skin to securely attach the bracket (Ripped from another random car!). It involved a telescopic magnet and some choice words :rolleyes:

bigB
12-05-2011, 05:18 AM
Nice! Obsessive,: """I have raised the hinge cover plates to the same height"""

How did you do that? and what holds them in place? I need to do mine also.

Obsessive
12-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Nice! Obsessive,: """I have raised the hinge cover plates to the same height"""

How did you do that? and what holds them in place? I need to do mine also.

Hi BigB,

It's good to see the post has come in useful :)

From what I remember (it's been a while) I used a some double sided sticky pads which were reasonably thick (May have doubled up) to get the dead right height, then used to epoxy glue to make a good secure fit.

How did you get on with securing the strut to the boot lid?

bigB
13-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Same as you, a random bracket, but i'm finding my struts all to stiff!

Obsessive
13-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Same as you, a random bracket, but i'm finding my struts all to stiff!

Bugger! that's no good. The boot lid is very light and part of the reason the old Lada strut works well is that it is crap! I could physically close it (be it with some effort) with my arms.

The result is I can leave the boot open at any angle I like and it stays there, which for the Beat is perfect.