PDA

View Full Version : Questions?

johnross
27-05-2003, 01:37 PM
As a new BEAT owner, help with these would be appreciated . . .

What type of radio aerial is suitable and whereabouts is it best to fit it?
The previous owner mentioned a radio frequency converter to enable UK stations to be received, any info on supplier?
How is the speed limiter overcome?
Suggestions for a good dealer to service it in the South Midlands area? (South WARKS)
Where can I get an oil filter from? Honda car dealer? or Honda motorcycle dealer? Other?

Cheers, John.

Midship
27-05-2003, 08:10 PM
Theres an aerial for sale in the parts for sale forum at the moment, after looking and looking i finally found and aerial to fit the beat, its made by bosch ill have a look for the packaging for the model number.

Oil filters can be purchased from your friendly local honda dealer or can be purchased from a motor factor.

A frequency converter can be purchased which converts the signal, you can purchase them from some car radio shops and cost about 45 euro.

HTH

Paul w
28-05-2003, 08:47 AM
Servicing - You are not too far from Stuart Grahams in Aston, cheshire. One of their mechanics was a beat owner! They never bat an eyelid when i took mine in, I believe they look after a few of them. You could have a nice run up the backroads through shropshire and cheshire!

Regards

PW

johnross
28-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the info Paul, but is that Aston Runcorn or Aston Nantwich?

Cheers, John.

Paul w
28-05-2003, 10:42 AM
Nantwich

they are on 01270 780300

PW

ozsamurai
28-05-2003, 01:04 PM
Its also possible to fit a short antenna from a S200, insight or Fit with an adaptor that costs around 1500 yen, antenna is 3500 from the Honda dealer but most likely also avaiable to purchase in the UK. The fitting instructions are already on my site if your interested

http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/ozsamurai/BeatS2000antenna.htm

Cheers

Ozsamurai

PS welcome! by the way

ozsamurai
28-05-2003, 01:13 PM
Oops, I forgot about the limiter, the limiter is integrated into the ECU, which gives you two options
1. Chip the ECU, guy does it here (Japan) for 28000 yen
2. Create a false input signal, again see the page on it here

http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/ozsamurai/Beatlimiter.htm

sorry it's a work in progress, Kenji and I got together last weekend to do it and ended up having a few drinks over it and somewhere along the line we lost the plot.

Oz

tinytim
28-05-2003, 05:09 PM
I picked up a windscreen mounted aerial from Halfords. I've left the original fitted but figure I'll only have to leave it up once and some to55pot will snap it off.
I earthed the aerial to the top of the windscreen surround and the cables that came with it were plenty long enough to route round the screen under the plastic facia to reach the radio (expander) and a power supply (cig lighter).

I was going to go for a power aerial but
1: Not original
2: Routing the cable.
3: Not much space in the arch

Steve_M
28-05-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by ozsamurai
ended up having a few drinks over it and somewhere along the line we lost the plot.

Oz

Sounds a good one!!!

johnross
29-05-2003, 07:37 AM
You have a cig lighter? Where is it mouted?

John.

Steve_M
29-05-2003, 08:37 AM
Cigar lighter and ashtray were an accessory kit for a beat, cigar lighter goes to the L/H side of the steering column. the wiring is all there for it just plugs in.

HTH

johnross
30-05-2003, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the cig lighter info, Steve, found the wiring OK, moved the rear fog light switch to the other side, just have to find a shop to sell me a socket now!
(Learning fast on these BEAT things)

Cheers, John.

johnross
30-05-2003, 03:48 PM
Whilst installing the cig lighter socket, had the panel out, shorted two wires together on the interior light and caused a buzzer to sound (not the seat belt buzzer) - what could that be for? And how is the interior light supposed to work, it has 3 positions, I have an on and 2 offs - bet that's not right?

John.

Paul w
30-05-2003, 03:58 PM
the interior light has off-door operated-on all the time

makes sense i guess!

did you try it with door open?? lol

The buzzer could be the door open/lights on buzzer?

PW

Adam
30-05-2003, 03:58 PM
The buzzer could be signalling that you have your keys in the ignition and the door open. It’s a black box beside the footrest with a green socket.
The lights problem could be the switch. It might be broken.

johnross
30-05-2003, 04:14 PM
Ah, don't currently have that warning, guess I need to investigate. Presumably the slide switch near the fuel filler release is the door switch?

John.

tinytim
30-05-2003, 08:51 PM
Put your keys in with the door shut and see if the warning buzzer sounds. When you shorted the wires you may have burned out the lead from the door switch so now the buzzer will sound all the time and the foot light won't come on when you open the door.
The 3 switch positions are on, off and on with door open.

If you like (or rather don't like the buzzer) you can disconnect the green socket that sticks out of the bottom of the black box to the left of the clutch pedal. There is no other effect and its's useful when your working on the car with the keys in.

PS Be careful when you're working on the electrics under the dash there are quite a few permenantly live feeds under there.
OH! You already know;-)

As an aside, for your MOT (depending on the tester) you need a warning light on the dash that indicates when the fogs are on. If you have the original fog switch (with a light in it) you can wire this up to illuminate:
1. To show you where it is in the dark ie fed off the side lights
2. When the fogs are on ie fed from itself

It may be an idea to do the latter while your tinkering under there anyway.

Enjoy your Beat
Tim

johnross
30-05-2003, 11:46 PM
Tim, thanks for your post, but I was lucky, took the right air intake off and found the wire to the door switch disconnected - now the buzzer and the light work OK! Didn't know I had these facilities - the downside of no manual!
Don't have the Honda fog light switch, only a blank, the car came with an additional illuminated switch fitted - which also works now I have changed the bulb!!!

Cheers, John.