PDA

View Full Version : Pikes Peak with a Honda Beat...bad idea?

unclejemima
22-10-2011, 06:16 AM
I turn the big 30 next year...and I figured it would be fun to do something special for my birthday.

Long story, but I built this thing...
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/cornflakejoe/P6161586.jpg
and started talking with a guy who said i should race the Peak.

I have no actual race experience (but i've been riding motorbikes/trikes/quad/cars/trucks since I was 14), but I've been told I can enter as long as I don't go in with a 1000hp car :-) Of course there is an entry feeA:) An 18 year old girl ran her dads mini cooper S up for the second time this year with no prob.

So, I was thinking, instead of my trike, the Beat would be fun as well.
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/cornflakejoe/photo2.jpg

Because the beat is fuel injected (not carbed like my motorbike) the altitude won't require special tuning...but I will be down on power at 14,000ft!!!

Please chime in with what you think. My beat is bone stock. I feel bad about holding the throttle wide open for a good 20 minutes straight (up hill all the way with 156 turns!!!)

Will this wreck my beat's motor? Will it even have enough power to do so?

Let me know what you guys think!

steveinjapan
22-10-2011, 11:44 AM
I say, GO FOR IT!

Is there a 660cc class?

Saharasole
22-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Sounds like fun to me, you see a lot of Japanese beats doing gymkhana type events and generally thrashing the engine around tight courses, so why not give it a go! If it was a little more local, I would be tempted to join you!

steveinjapan
23-10-2011, 03:30 AM
I'm not talking out of any particular experience, but it seems to me if you do decent preparation, check all critical systems, jettison some weight, make sure the rev limiter works, and (? maybe) a grade heavier oil, you have a good chance of finishing.

Any other ideas?

unclejemima
23-10-2011, 04:16 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

If I had a busabeat...i would feel more comfortable about this ;)

They say at 14,000ft elevation, the engine is down about 30% in power...so the Beat will be a lethargic 44hp! Oh boy...

There is no 660cc class, but they accept near anything as long as it meets safety requirements. That's the neat thing about this race.

unclejemima
23-10-2011, 04:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBaIlQOGgwc&feature=related

Here is a vid of the 2011 winner! Looks like its fast forward but its not!

unclejemima
23-10-2011, 04:30 AM
check all critical systems
Fresh oil for sure. Coolant flush. New Trans oil. That should do the trick

jettison some weight
I was going to remove the spare tire...not sure if there is anything else I can really do to remove weight shy of removing the passenger seat.

Will removing the spare tire mess the weight distribution?

(? maybe) a grade heavier oil
This sound intersting. Are you thinking because of the elevation or because of the heat caused by running full throttle for 20 minutes?

Thanks!

steveinjapan
24-10-2011, 12:03 AM

I was going to remove the spare tire...not sure if there is anything else I can really do to remove weight shy of removing the passenger seat.

This sound intersting. Are you thinking because of the elevation or because of the heat caused by running full throttle for 20 minutes?

Thanks!

Good question about weight distribution - what do the serious hillclimbers like? My experience in the Beat is that weight on the front end helps for good braking, but that's not exactly the priority in the hillclimb.

My comment on heavier oil was based on some old-school experience, of running straight 20W in an aircooled VW in the summer and burning a rod bearing. But there is no downside to going from 10W30 (normal recommended all-season oil) to 20W40 or even 20W50 as long as you are fully warmed up before the run.

obiwanwasabe
24-10-2011, 07:30 AM

Thanks!

Suggest you take the aircon compressor off as it is only dragging power and an extra bit of weight tagging along for the ride, you'll need a smaller drive belt fitted. I don't know the legalities of it where you are but think about ditching the cat and replacing it with a small silencer too! These minor "mods" made a hell of a difference on mine.

unclejemima
28-10-2011, 05:02 AM
Cool, thanks guys!

I'm going to start a new post about removing the Cat as where I live there is no issues with this and i've been thinking about doing it, but worried about a few things.

Thanks for all the posts and info! I'll keep you all in the loop with my plans!

TADO
03-11-2011, 09:42 AM
ive seen plenty beats doing the K4GP 24hour races, theres probably some blog pages on minkara etc where you could see what theyve done to prepare for it?