PDA

View Full Version : Screaching metalic noice coming from the back

Andreas_3055
02-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Hi everyone

Came back home after been away for 2 weeks on business...done my PDC (pre- Drive - Check ) charged the battery as it went flat, check all the oils, waters and drove the car away as I really missed driving it, It was all nice and done until I stopped at the traffic lights and the RPM just went bellow 600-500 and it stalled no problem restarted and drove away to come home, as this is one of the issues I will discuss with my mechanic, then in a corner a screeching metallic noise started something out of a horror movie coming from the back I immediately pulled over stopped the engine and tried to check what it was needless to say I couldn't find something and I slowly drove the car back home under 10 kmh.
if anyone has any idea of what it is I would greatly appreciate your input.

Sincerely

Andreas

marcair
03-10-2013, 01:10 AM
Pls offer more information. Anything abnormal with the car prior to parking it? What was car and engine speed at onset of noise? Was the noise dependant upon car or engine speed? Did the noise continue during the final drive home? Is it a belt-slip noise or dry-bearing noise? Distributor squeal? Locked brake discs?

Andreas_3055
03-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Pls offer more information. Anything abnormal with the car prior to parking it? What was car and engine speed at onset of noise? Was the noise dependant upon car or engine speed? Did the noise continue during the final drive home? Is it a belt-slip noise or dry-bearing noise? Distributor squeal? Locked brake discs?

thanks for the interest.

Nothing abnormal with the car the the speed was around 20 KPH the rpm around 2000, the noise didn't seem dependent upon engine RPM or speed... or a locked brake disk the car handled fine, but the sound came only when the car was in gear and moving... the noise was a dry metallic noise

that's all the info I can offer right now

witsend
03-10-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm going to go for brakes...

I had a non beat issue where an anti rattle clip had broken but it only made a noise under power, I think the caliper was dragging slightly and was moving forward and backwards a mm or two depending on if torque was applied.

Get a passenger to have a listen on an open road, see if they can place it.

Paul w

Steve_M
03-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Not a lot of info to go on, but some ideas.

Only when engine running - distributor, drive belts, alternator, clutch spring broken (jammed)

Relevant to road speed (even when coasting) brakes related (something stuck behind disc back plate or brake pad wear indicator)

It really needs some with mechanical knowledge to diagnose with the actual car, otherwise it's really only guess work.

Andreas_3055
11-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Dear Everyone

Thank you so much for your replies

I drove the Beat to a mechanic at a speed that a turtle would be envious explained the problem left the car there and as it turns out the problem was.....
ok there were 2 problems one was the driving belts had them replaced but the problem was still there finally it turns out as the driving belts were turning they were also turning the pulleys at a higher speed which they were worn out and they were turning at a higher Rpm than their shaft so that was the metallic Screeching noise got them replaced and problem gone :)

PS I am looking for an Air Condition Compressor any Hints

Thanks

Andreas