PDA

View Full Version : Help on oil change

Robin
18-06-2003, 02:12 PM
Hey Guys judging by how much better my car is running just by topping up with GTX Magnatec I'm now thinking of doing a complet engine flush with one of those ones you can buy in Halfords Wynns isnt it? then filling the car up again with all GTX Magnatec.
Thing is i have never drained an engine of oil or flushed one through. is it simple? Do you have to change the oil filter too or is that not needed?

I also was looking over an older post and saw the post on Bardahl oil products. did anyone ever use one of these in the end? was it any good?

Any advice guys
thanks alot

adrianp
18-06-2003, 06:07 PM
Hi Robin,

if you age going to do an engine flush then you will need to change the filter afterwards because some of the crud you will have loosened will have traveled round the system and become trapped in the filter element.

Full instructions are normally given on the bottle.

It has been said though, that doing a flush on an older/high mileage engine can do more harm than good, something about it is possible for the loose crud to block some of the smaller oilways... not entirely sure though.

I did one on one of my previous cars with over 100,000 miles on the clock ( 3.0 L straight 6 ) and had no problems so the choice is yours...

Can't help on the Bardahl though, never used it...

Hope this helps

Adrian.

Steve_M
18-06-2003, 06:59 PM
Always best to change the filter when changing the oil.

I would not bother with any sort of flush, the way honda engines run they are normally very clean inside anyway, and with modern oils they have cleaning additives etc in them anyway.

So save your money and just oil and filter it.

A nice drop of Magnatec 10w-40

Robin
19-06-2003, 09:28 AM
Thanks Guys.

I heard from a guy at work that when he changed the oil in his engine, he drained out the old oil, bought a few litres of cheap 10w40 and just poured it straight through to remove any dirt or crud that was there then filled the car up with decent oil. good idea?

Can i have the part number for the oil filter and also some instructions on how to do an oil change plus filter change.

Cheers
Robin