PDA

View Full Version : New canvas roof

Munkii
30-01-2014, 01:16 PM
I have just bought a new roof of the internet and was wondering how hard it would be to fit myself.
I have a full weekend to do it so time shouldn't be an issue.
Just wanted to ask if anyone has done this and have any tips I should know before I get elbow deep!
I read a post on here about using an extendable claw for the tension lines but they didn't go into much detail on anything else :p
Thanks!

Steve_M
30-01-2014, 06:19 PM
You will need some replacement pop rivets as you have to drill quite a few out to release the hood cover. You can do it with the frame still attached to the car. As mentioned you need to feed the tensioning cable through, which you can use some old wire tied to it and pull through. I recall you need some impact adhesive for the front bar fixing. It's not difficult, just quite time consuming. Best take a series of pictures as you go and refer back to them as you reinstall. If it's an aftermarket roof many of the holes will have to be made I believe.

Munkii
30-01-2014, 06:40 PM
Thanks you're a star!

Dickiecrx-vt
30-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Hope you can post some pictures of how you do it yourself :)

Munkii
31-01-2014, 12:24 AM
Lots of photos ;)

mikei
31-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Does anyone know of a rear glass screen that will fit in the beat as will be getting roof redone in March
Trimmers will fit if I supply but needs to be smaller to allow roof to open
Has this been done before by anyone ?
Before you struggle fitting this yourself been quoted £280 for a fitted cloth roof at jack smiths in Swansea
It's a long way and they are busy till March but worth the drive I think

Munkii
31-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Boat then drive unfortunately... Living on the isle of man has its problems...

Steve_M
31-01-2014, 05:24 PM
http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?3436-Glass-Rear-Window&highlight=Glass+rear+screen