PDA

View Full Version : Coolant

Robin
26-06-2003, 12:54 PM
Hey Guys, i was doing my regular check on levels in my car. It had been parked for about 3 hours. I took the cap off the water in the back by the engine and it bubbled a bit and my god it was filthy. i mean proper almost black filthy. what could that mean? Is there an easy way to drain it and fill it with new stuff and should i be worried about the colour of it?

Cheers
Robin

Steve_M
26-06-2003, 06:35 PM
Its most likely just old (11 years old), to make it that colour.

You need to be under the car to drain the coolant there is a drain tap on the radiator at the front and a drain bung on the side of the engine block and also drains on the pipes running front to back.

Id recommend Honda Coolant, comes in 5 litre container ready mixed to 50/50 mix.

Best refilled with the front cap off, fill from rear bottle until it comes out of the front opening. then fit front cap run engine up till fan comes in with rear cap off, check level is at joining seam of expansion bottle.

HTH

Robin
26-06-2003, 07:39 PM
Thanks alot steve you are an absolute star

Cheers
Robin

Jason
01-07-2003, 08:47 AM
Could you post pictures of where I find the bung on the engine block and the drains on the hoses that run the length of the car.

Many thanks

Jason :)

PS How many litres?

Steve_M
01-07-2003, 04:09 PM
The cooling system hold 4.7 litres of coolant and loocation of drains are as follows.

aj17ay
17-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi

I know this is a old thread ... can someone clarify the steps above please ...

1) Get 5litre coolant from Honda.

2) Flush the coolant out from the front radiator, engine bung and on the pipes as shown in the attachments by Steve M.

3) With the front radiator cap off and the Engine bung, front radiator tap and drain pipes closed, start to pour coolant from the rear Expansion tank.

4) When coolant come out of the front radiator cap, close this.

5) Start the engine and wait for the fan to come on. (The coolant in the rear tank should start to go down a little bit)

6) Start to pour the remaining coolant in the rear expansion tank, until level with the markers.

7) Leave the car to run for about 10-15 minutes, keeping eye on temperature gauge!

Are these the correct steps to follow, I know I have re-written Steve M's Guide. ;)

My only question is, when I start the car, do I put the heating on MAX speed and Full hot?

Or do I leave the heating system shut, and just keep the engine running?

Cheers

Ajay

Steve_M
17-12-2008, 03:59 PM
No need at first to put fan on, but put temp control to hot to allow coolant to circulate via heater matrix.

Otherwise guide as i previously posted.

Once engine up to tempeature use fan to check that heat is coming through heater.