PDA

View Full Version : convert dash to mph

cframe
02-07-2003, 01:28 AM
hey everyone
justr a quick question for ya; is it easy/possible to get new inlay for the dash dials to convert it to mph instead of km/h?

Ive not yet got a beat but am strongly considering getting one as a first car but thge whole km/h thing is swaying me a bit, its hard enuf sticking to the speed limits as it is ;)

cheers everyone
c.

adrianp
02-07-2003, 07:12 AM
Hi,

Welcome to the site...

Getting a Beat for a first car... Nice...

Have you tried getting any insurance quotes yet?? If you do a search for 'Insurance' on here you should find some help on what companies to try.

You might find that is a bit more expensive than you think though... insurance companies seem to have something against younger drivers owning such a fun car...

Keep looking around though as there are some companies that aren't that bad although I'm 33 so that will make a difference...

The Speedo can be changed, there are various ways to do this...

It can be changed electronicaly but that means you only use 1/2 of the dial face

There are some stick on faces that go on the outside of the glass to allow you to drive on both Kmph & Mph and People also have been known to put small stickers around the dial edge with the correct speed printed on then.

I've had mine for 2 yrs now and still work in Kmph, to be honest, you soon get used to it but I suppose using the car everyday helps...

Hope this helps

Adrian.
:bounce:

cframe
02-07-2003, 08:55 AM
cheers for the adrianp :)

i suppose i shoulda made it slightly clearer, ive already been driving for about 4 years but this would be the first car ive owned, up till now ive just been stealing/borrowing mums car ;)

Is there anything else i should look out for on the beats that is that different from most other cars just due to it size if nothing else?

Also is the boot really as small as ive seen it made out to be?

thanks again
c.

Paul w
02-07-2003, 12:37 PM
No, the boot is actually smaller!

Some people put stuff under the 'bonnet' in the spare wheel or remove it all together and carry tireweld!

I think steve M has some mph overlays, but its fairly simple to work out once you know a couple of speeds.

100kph is 60 (well 62) mph
so 50 kph is 30mph
above 113kph and you are speeding, no matter what the road is!

You have to bare in mind how low down you are, trucks can sometimes not see you (not much different to normal cars then!!)
and turning left out of a junction with a car along side turning right is tricky if you cant see over their bonnet!

Oh, and your cheeks will ache from grinning all the time!

:D

PW

adrianp
02-07-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Paul w
No, the boot is actually smaller!

Some people put stuff under the 'bonnet' in the spare wheel or remove it all together and carry tireweld!

I'm actually waiting for a custom bag to arrive that will (should) fit inside the spare wheel, Hopefully it will arrive before Billing so that I can let people have a look and details of where to get one if they want to.

As for the grin:D :D :D I still don't think mine has worn off properly yet...

Adrian.

jcs
02-07-2003, 07:57 PM
Have a look at the post from Nunakhan - he's had a very neat dials conversion done (looks expensive though!).

jcs
02-07-2003, 08:10 PM
This thread is under For Sale!

adrianp
02-07-2003, 08:37 PM
Hi John,

I've just split the thread and given it one of it's own...

Titled 'Dial Conversions'

Hopefully it will be easier to find now

They do look good though

Adrian.

NUNAKHAN
02-07-2003, 08:50 PM
sorry everyone, was getting nagged by the mrs at the time so kinda lost where i was and posted it on the wrong bit! Women knows not to disturb me when i am on this site!! sorry again

adrianp
02-07-2003, 08:52 PM
don't worry about it...

I've done it myself before... it's just handy that I have the power to move messages etc.

Adrian.