PDA

View Full Version : Door Speakers Who's got what and whats good on a budget?

Sphynxface
14-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Hello

I've just bought A head unit the next thing is to replace the two door speakers and buy some tweeters. I'm losing the dash mount things altogether! can't see that they're really worth replacing.

can people tell me what Speakers they've put in the doors price and did you need to any modification to make them fit?

I don't want to spend a lot of money but I don't want something that sounds like rubbish any suggestions.

thank you.

4Aaron GE
15-06-2016, 04:21 AM
Uh.... Do you have the dash kit for the radio? The OEM one isn't normal sized.

As far as speakers go, the stock size is 16cm, so basically any multi fit 16cm one will do. I had to split off the mounting bracket from the OEM speaker though. Those are attached with glue and screws, and require a bit of force to get off. Keep the dash pods if you can. Otherwise, you'll have some unsightly holes from where the wires went through.

Sphynxface
15-06-2016, 10:33 AM
I'm going to fill the holes where the dash pods were. Then retrim the dash. I've just bought a marine gauge hole stereo to fit behind the old gathers radio fascia. Luckily it has a remote so everything will look normal but I'll have Bluetooth and full iPhone connectivity via the USB too. Just toying with creating a box for two speakers on top of the engine cover behind the seats.

Thanks for the info I will start looking to see what's about.

How are you getting on with yours? Have you got a plan?

4Aaron GE
15-06-2016, 11:57 AM
Lol. The plan is sit on it until my MOT runs out. Hopefully something decent will come available before that. There's a nice candidate in Mie prefecture, but I have no way of getting it back here, since it has no engine.

old'uns
15-06-2016, 10:44 PM
Fusion marine HU
Alpine 4 ch amp behind passenger seat- bit of overkill really :)
Alpine - i think?- 6" components in door with the tweeters in dash pod, fairly straight forward install
4x Visaton 80mm, 2 per dash pod, wired conventionally not as per factory ie no crossover setup

Sphynxface
16-06-2016, 07:09 AM
i was tempted to replace the speakers in the dash pods but each place I went to just said that no matter what I put in there the size of the speaker would mean that the sound would always be a bit lacking. I looked at the box that was made by someone on here to go above the engine cover so that might be an option with some 6x9's I have. Shoe horn them in somehow and replace the components and add tweeters on the dash.

It's going to be fun but I'll get there.

4Aaron GE
17-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Honestly, I wouldn't base an audio build around parts you already have lying around unless they're really really good parts.

The Alpine 16cm speakers that I'm running (STE-G160C) aren't bad. They don't have massive bass extension, but they do the job, and since it's a tiny car, it's more than acceptable. However, since they're coaxials, I've had to turn down the dash speakers quite a bit. If you're dead set on building something for the rear deck, I would suggest getting a single low profile 8 (http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/Car/Subwoofers/Shallow-Mount/TS-SW2002D2) or 10 (http://www.infinityspeakers.com/subwoofers/REFERENCE+1000S.html?dwvar_REFERENCE%201000S_color =Black) (maybe a 13 (http://www.jlaudio.ca/car-audio-subwoofer-drivers-tw5v2)). You won't need to put a lot of power through one to fill out your sound.

Also, be aware that since they're firing upwards, once you have the top down, you're going to lose a LOT of sound to your surroundings.

old'uns
17-06-2016, 11:44 AM
i was tempted to replace the speakers in the dash pods but each place I went to just said that no matter what I put in there the size of the speaker would mean that the sound would always be a bit lacking.

the Visatons i put in dash i think are 30w nom?,OK not earth shattering, but bear in mind that there is room for 2 side by side and a tweeter and that each are installed at the bottom of a tube, angled back towards the compartment and has the screen to deflect.....for me it's more than sufficient as with the Fusion HU you can fade front to rear as per normal but also set each zones volume independently then alter volume as one afterwards.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/old-uns/Honda%20Beat/dashpre.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/old-uns/media/Honda%20Beat/dashpre.jpg.html)

anything behind you gets lost in the engine noise with top up and wind noise top down

Sphynxface
17-06-2016, 01:39 PM
so what are the part numbers then? I will have a look at them, you never know I might just go crazy and do all of it! I'm not going to limit myself I will keep my options open. obviously I need to consider if I do the dash, doors and a box behin how I go about wiring it all but it should be ok.

My head unit has been dispatched from the US today so hopefully it will be in the uk in a week. then just the Customs Fee :awwww: hoping as it wasn't hellishly expensive it won't be too much, but we'll see.

so if you could tell me what speakers and tweeters you used I'd be very grateful. and I guess the OHMs will be determined by the New Head Unit.

Please keep the Advice, opinions etc coming it's all very helpful and really appreciated.

Sphynxface
17-06-2016, 01:47 PM
I hear what you're saying 4Aaron, but the 6x9's I have are pretty good they've hardly been used for more than about 6 months and even then never really driven. my mum had them n one of her cars!! If I do make something in the back I will ensure that I try to get as much angle on it as I can. I will explore all of my options before embarking on anything too crazy. I only want to be able to listen to tunes as I drive about Not win any sound offs that's for sure.

really appreciate the feed back from both You and Oldun's. It helps a lot to get different takes on things.

4Aaron GE
17-06-2016, 02:46 PM
I guess for starters: what 6x9s are they?

Sphynxface
17-06-2016, 03:22 PM
They're old but I'm sure they are Kenwood KFC6907's. They're mint as they have just been stored away for years and years. And years.

4Aaron GE
17-06-2016, 05:54 PM
OK, I looked em up, and honestly, even if they're in good kit, they're still inexpensive speakers. Personally, I'd give em a pass if I were to build some sort of custom rear enclosure, but in the end, it's still YOUR car.

Also, if you build a rear deck thing, where are you gonna put your window when you put the top down?

Sphynxface
17-06-2016, 06:22 PM
These are the questions I'm enjoying trying to solve. For now I just want to keep the cost down but I hear what you're saying about the speakers but they're here and free, so for now toget things sorted they'll do.

4Aaron GE
17-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Well, first, headunit. That's the hardest part. Once you get that sorted, then worry about speakers

Sphynxface
17-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Ok prepare yourself. I got a Dual MGH25BT. I've gutted my old gathers and I'll mount the Dual behind the gathers fascia.

Sphynxface
17-06-2016, 07:08 PM
Went for the Dual as it has full USB iPhone functionality as well as Bluetooth and a remote it's small enough to hide too. So the dash will look stock.

old'uns
17-06-2016, 07:10 PM
you do know that to get to the Pod speakers you end up with something like this?

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h276/old-uns/Honda%20Beat/dooroff.jpg (http://s66.photobucket.com/user/old-uns/media/Honda%20Beat/dooroff.jpg.html)

maybe not QUITE that far but....

Sphynxface
17-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Already there. I have had this car for about 8-10 years. I've stripped it bare in the past so I'm not scared of that. I just didn't do what I wanted last time and rushed it all. This time although the budget is very tight I'm putting the errors right. I have already removed the dash and the pods off of it. I'm getting some s2000 seats on Sunday and when I get the seats out I'm thinking of replacing the carpet. Not sure exactly how but I think time patience and research will help.

old'uns
18-06-2016, 12:35 PM
so what are the part numbers then? I will have a look at them, you never know I might just go crazy and do all of it! I'm not going to limit myself I will keep my options open. obviously I need to consider if I do the dash, doors and a box behin how I go about wiring it all but it should be ok.

My head unit has been dispatched from the US today so hopefully it will be in the uk in a week. then just the Customs Fee :awwww: hoping as it wasn't hellishly expensive it won't be too much, but we'll see.

so if you could tell me what speakers and tweeters you used I'd be very grateful. and I guess the OHMs will be determined by the New Head Unit.

Please keep the Advice, opinions etc coming it's all very helpful and really appreciated.

somewhere in this thread is all the info you'll need re: the dash speakers....

http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?3336-The-definitive-dash-speaker-thread

Sphynxface
18-06-2016, 03:08 PM
I did think I'd seen it on here. Thanks for the link.

I did actually send beat man a PM to see if he still had the photos. Not sure he visits here anymore.