PDA

View Full Version : gear-grinding-noise

Tamsin Nunley
06-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Hi Folks!

Finally got round to viewing a Beat at the weekend (pretty cool it was too! Hell, what am I saying...? It was absolutely bloody adorable! :D )

One thing I did notice was a grindy noise sometimes after changing gears - the owner volunteered the info that this seems a fairly common glitch in Beats and shouldn't be a problem.

Does anyone have this with their Beat? I soon stopped noticing it actually (or it quietened down - not sure which :) ) and there's no reason to doubt the owner's explanation - but was just interested to hear people's opinions on this.

Also, that spare wheel.....as they're both different sizes anyway, isn't there only a 50% chance it would be any use at all in the event of a flat? :p

Steve_M
06-07-2003, 10:13 PM
The Noise you refer too does seem to be quite a common Beat noise, heard if you allow the revs to drop to about 2000 rpm and then accelerate, noise stops at 3000 rpm. Sort of rattle.

Cause of noise: clutch centre plate damper springs.

Cure1: Replace clutch centre plate or clutch kit (3 piece)

Cure2: Dont let the revs go that low (your not driving it quick enough)

Cure3: Turn the radio up and enjoy your driving.

Adverse affects: just a noise!!

Even thou the front and rear wheels are differant sizes 13 in and 14 in, they have differant profile tyres making the overall size of both the wheels the same, thus One spare tyre could be used either on front or back. or not at all cos when was the last time that anyone had a flat tyre, poss a punture slight low pressure but not normally a complete flat.

HTH

Dave
07-07-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Steve_M
The Noise you refer too does seem to be quite a common Beat noise, heard if you allow the revs to drop to about 2000 rpm and then accelerate, noise stops at 3000 rpm. Sort of rattle.

Steve Sir,

You are an absolute DIAMOND - I was getting quite worried about my Beat making this noise too...

Just have to drive faster :p

Thanks!!!

Dave

Tamsin Nunley
07-07-2003, 12:14 AM
Steve_M to the rescue again! :D Thanks for explaining!!

On a slightly less important note, is it straightforward to get your speakers changed as well? (Love listening to music when driving, but reckon i might have to thrash the volume a bit to hear any above that engine!)

Steve_M
07-07-2003, 12:18 AM
The door speakers are 16cm standard speakers, and there is quite a bit of room to fit deeper more powerful speakers in there really.

An upgrade i was considering on mine, but just have not got round to it.

Dependant on radio if it 120w unit, dash speakers and subwoofer can be added (but these items are costly to get out of japan)

Both 40w and 120w can have Clairion CD changer added. (like the one i have for sale ;) )

Tamsin Nunley
07-07-2003, 12:28 AM
*ears perk up*

You have one for sale...? That is interesting... was planning on adding one if i got the car. How much is it?

There were speakers mounted on the dashboard actually, which are the ones I was thinking of (being a dunce, i didn't notice the door ones!)

Steve_M
07-07-2003, 12:33 AM
http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=323

for the clarion changer.

Roz's Beat only has a 40w unit, so only the door speakers will work with that, would require a 120w unit for dash speakers to work.

120w unit has fader control between door and dash speakers.

(I am also just waiting for a 120w radio to come from japan, that will be for sale if you want to upgrade)

johnross
07-07-2003, 08:32 AM
Steve, I have that noise too. It had been diagnosed as a loose exhaust baffle - I WAS considering taking the exhaust off and trying to fix it!!!

Cheers, John.

ozsamurai
07-07-2003, 09:33 AM
Just a slight addition to the stereo speaker discussion etc. The dashboard speakers as Steve has said are like hens teeth even in Japan, they were an expensive option on an already expensive car at the time, so not many people had them installed. They are also notoriously weak, 2 X 6cm speakers and one tweater make up the 3way speaker unit, I have had a busted set for ages, trying to find replacement insides, talked to Honda, they just shrug their shoulders!! Clarion says "6cm, we have never made a 6cm speaker" at which point I shoved the busted ones in their face 'Oh you mean THOSE 6cm speakers?, we don't make 'em like I said" useless twits! No one has the template for drilling the mounting and wiring holes in the dash either, and you actually have to pull the whole dashboard out to mount them. So...having the 120W Stereo is great, just don't get your hopes up about dashboard speakers, unless you want to fit 3rd party units. While we're on noise makers the center sub-woofer that was available in the VerZ, is according to most people who have one is useless and a waste of space....maybe just fractionally less so than a cassette holder in this day and age?

Oz

NUNAKHAN
07-07-2003, 12:31 PM
Had these door build made some years ago, i can get an 8 inch 3 way 400watt speaker into each side with space for more if i wanted all running off a 1000w Punch power amp in the boot.

Nuna

NUNAKHAN
07-07-2003, 12:32 PM
closer pic

jcs
08-07-2003, 08:55 PM
Where DID you get those door panels!

Tamsin Nunley
09-07-2003, 11:10 AM
>>Roz's Beat only has a 40w unit, so only the door speakers will work with that, would require a 120w unit for dash speakers to work.

That's weird - could have sworn there was sound coming out of them....are they just sitting there doing nowt, then?

NUNAKHAN
09-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Had them custom made as you could by any good car audio place. theres about 8 foot of sound proofing inside the door panels plus as you can see plenty of space for more speakers.

Steve_M
09-07-2003, 08:36 PM
Roz's Beat up and till late last year did not even have a Beat radio in it.

I got her that 40w unit and fitted it (along with a radio Band expander).

There is no output for the dash speakers from a 40w unit, so definately no sound from them.