PDA

View Full Version : Join the dots...

Jason
07-07-2003, 10:48 AM
Hey guys,

I have noticed a little black speckling around the exhaust.

Any ideas?

Jason :rolleyes:

ozsamurai
07-07-2003, 11:12 AM
Jason I think you have signs of a fuel mix problem, ie too rich a mix. I have had the same problem since I bought my Beat, I noticed it more after fitting a stainless tailpipe cover. Its the first signs of A) you need a tune up or B) your ECU condensers are on the way out.... If its the ECU condensers like mine was, I bought a set of them for $4 and got a mate over at Honda R&D to solder them for me, not a major job (see my homepage). Without a cover on the black carbon splashes up onto the fender area, does this sound like it? Try the tune first, then the ECU, mine was the ECU of course since that was the biggest pain in the butt to do...

Lata

Oz

Jason
07-07-2003, 11:39 PM
Thanks Oz. It is due for a service this week. I will try this first and see what happens.

Jason
08-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Oz,

I had a look a your site as to how to replace the capicitors in the ECU. I'm affraid that the majority of it or the link I'm unable to read. Could you translate it? I have dabled in electronics a bit and feel that I can manage the replacement of the capitors with my trusty soldering iron.

Thanks

Jason

ozsamurai
09-07-2003, 02:59 AM
Sorry Jason I hadn't got around to translating it, I have been a bit swamped lately.....the pic there in known issues should give you reference to the solder points, the most important part is to clear the hole of all the old solder, before you go and install new ones, point two is the condensers have a polarity and must be replaced exactly the way they came out or you'll blow up your ECU, take note of them before you take the old ones out, the condenser sets are available on Yahoo! with the correct values for about 500 yen. I'll try and write a piece on it soon but this month is a little impossible.

Oz