PDA

View Full Version : burning oil

DAVIDOFF59
14-07-2003, 07:42 PM
my beat is burning oil,topping it up every week so it is pretty bad.any chance of getting the part numbers to solve the oil burning problem before i choke to death.also has any one got a good radiator for sale and if so how much.was trying to fix the horn today but could not find it an i seen the radiator is well rusted an going green so i need to fix it before it goes.thank

adrianp
14-07-2003, 09:33 PM
Hi David,

I suppose the first question is, Is the car actually burning the oil or are you just loosing it???

The reason I ask, is that mine was using some oil and when we did the cambelt we found thet the camshaft oil seal was dislodged and was letting oil leak out...

This normally results in the oil dripping onto the cat shields though so it's fairly easy to spot.

Otherwise it's either

1) A head re-build with new valve stem seals
or
2) No.1 + bottom end re-build with new pistons/piston rings as required...

Hopefully it will be No.1 as it's easier to sort out, (still quite a job though...)

I'm sure Steve will be able to advise you better, since he's had some practice at re-building the beat engine... :p

Adrian.

DAVIDOFF59
15-07-2003, 08:31 PM
yes i am pretty sure its burning oil.when accelerating hard.....as ya do,its quite smoky.going through about a litre a week maybe.will be cheaper doing the seals and so on rather than keep topping it up with oil.will make kuwait run outta oil at this rate ha ha.can ya help with part numbers steve please.unfortunately cant get over to billing.maybe the next beat meet eh

dirtdigby
22-12-2004, 12:37 AM
My Beat has the problem of burning oil. How much would this cost to put right? I had a new engine rebuild just over a year ago as my cambelt snapped. Any help appreciated. Regards, John

Midship
22-12-2004, 12:46 AM
Same problem as i had.. Get the wallet ready its going to be a costly process!

If your planning on getting a garage to do all the work i would sell up and buying a new one id hate to think what the labour would cost as well as the parts!