PDA

View Full Version : FAO OZ Stereo?

Ouija
16-07-2003, 05:10 AM
Does anyone have an adapter for fitting a proper stereo?

I have seen quite alot of conversions on the web but most of them appear to be homemade efforts, and from the images ive seen they aint very good!

I seem to remember a picture of a good looking 2 din unit from Liberta Cozy or something, do you know of any decent looking conversions (Single or 2 DIN) and if so how much are they??

If I do end up converting will the dash speakers and door speakers work ok with a new stereo? ( sorry but aint very clued up on these things! )

Its not that i dont like the current stereo but if you want a show winning car then you have to have the best of kit and im afraid standard fitments just dont cut it in this area.

Any help as always is greatly appretiated.

Ouija

PS - Check out some of this websites pictures! Some crackers and some not so good, but plenty to view.

http://www.side-7.net/

ozsamurai
17-07-2003, 09:06 AM
Hate to be ignorant, but I'm not up on my web speak, what is FAO?

Anyway since OZ was in it, I think you were asking me, right?

Most makers do a 1 or 2 din unit adaptor to replace the center unit, they are simple FRP jobs somehow (usually poorly!) modeled around the original. I don't like them and don't reccommend them for two reasons
1. The pattern and color and lines of the of the dash are wrecked, they tend to LOOK like they were just stuck there.
2. You have to be extra specially selective with the audio you put in due to the lack of depth behind it, which again limits your options, do you go with silver trim? You custom make your 2 din for your deck, only to find that you can't shift into first anymore, don't laugh I know a guy who did it!

Personally I think that if you have to fit a third party stereo, removal of the glove box becomes a viable if not desirable option, just think of all the cool stuff you could do with the empty stereo bay!! A TV etc.. I could fit a PC in there if I had to...anyway back to the point, the door and dash speaker would work as long as you traced back the lead through the harness to the pins on the original connector, as for buying an adaptor thats out of my league, I make my own. The door speakers (standard issue are only 20W and the dashboards 30W so there's no real point have a flash stereo driving them without upgrading the door speakers at least, there's not much you can do about the dash if you want to maintain the originals (shape etc)

Pre-fab units on the web start at about 18000 yen.

Hope this helps

Oz

Paul w
17-07-2003, 09:54 AM
FAO - For Attention Of....
FFS - for flips sake
WTF - what the flip?
:eek:

HTH - hope this helps (or happy to help!)

PW

ozsamurai
17-07-2003, 10:01 AM
Thanks Paul..I'll try and remeber all those now, maybe I should spend more time on chat lines!! Glad it was for me then....

LMAO at myself!!

Oz