PDA

View Full Version : engine removal/rebuild

DAVIDOFF59
26-07-2003, 05:23 PM
hi all.
car is off the road again.she is burning oil and i think bent valves as well.1 week after i got her back on the road she broke a spark plug and into the engine it went.i was wondering dave did u rebuild an engine and if so who did the work for u.i live in donegal so if a dublin workshop did the work then that would not be a problem for me.steve could u help me out with part numbers when i get the engine out please.thanks

Midship
07-08-2003, 09:52 PM
Hi

Sorry to hear about your poor beat- the exact same thing happened to my baby beat last may. It was burning lots of oil and eventually at 9000rpm one of the valves shattered :(

I took out the engine and after countless hours work i fully rebuilt it with the help of friends. it would be impossible to get a garage to carry out the amount of work and care thats needed to properly rebuild a beat. Garages simply dont want the hasstle of something as strange as a beat and if you do find somewhere that will do the work-they will charge you!! You may be able to get the valve replaced at a fair price but when it comes to taking the engine out, to replace rings etc you are talking big big money!

My advice to you would be to rebuild yourself if your handy with engines and cars, i done mine and i dont regret it one bit-the car drives like brand new. Otherwise i think it wouldnt be economical to get a garage to take out the engine to repair piston rings etc. I was quoated over 4000!!

If you are thinking about putting it back on the road and need any help-just ask

Adam
08-08-2003, 06:21 PM
Sorry to hear that but John is right, a garage will charge you more then a new car. They don't like going near Japs and especially something as exotic as that. I will need to do the same when I get back.

If you need anything I will be back in Ireland at the end of the month.

ada@vodafone.ie

Dave
09-08-2003, 11:34 PM
Hi David,

Sorry, must have missed the post first time round. I'm afraid I've never messed with the engine.

A friend of mine (Electrician with a passion for cars) looks after me and I KNOW he would see this as a great project if your interested?

Sorry I don't have better news, please let me know if I can do anything to help.

Best of luck,
Dave