PDA

View Full Version : Cold start problems

john m
05-09-2002, 06:12 PM
A few problems, some of our expert members might be able to help me.
When my Beat has not been used for a few days it will not fire up, the battery and starter are fine as are the plugs, I know this because the engine turns but will not fire. If the carr is pushed it still will not start but if it is left alone for a few hours after the failed start it starts first time. I suspect that there is no spark produced when it will not start. The engine warning light does not come on when the ignition is turned on (never seen it on), I take it that it should so either bad bulb or removed before I got the car. Any ideas what the problem could be?
Also the fuses in the fuse box seem wrong, the lid says I should have a 7.5 A one but I have a 25 A one instead. This is the middle fuse on the left hand side of the box when looking from behind. Should this be replaced with a 7.5 A one?:help: :help:
Thanks,
John

Paul w
05-09-2002, 07:33 PM
Hi,
Do you ever hear it fire? ie is there any attempt from the engine to start, does it ever stutter a little, or is it just dry cranking (same noise all the time?)
Does the fuel pump prime when you first turn on the ignition (a quiet hum for about 3 seconds)
You really need to replace that engine diagnostic bulb, and it may be worth doing the short the plug diagnostic test. (details please ade!)

PW

Steve_M
05-09-2002, 07:57 PM
It does not really matter that the fuse is over rated at the mo, cost that means it should not have blown.

Why is the engine management light not working is a start? bulb?? or no feed.

As paul said do you hear the fuel pump run up when you first turn the ignition on? it is at this point that the engine light would go out.

This is what the fuses should be in the pic

HTH

Steve M

adrianp
05-09-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Paul w

You really need to replace that engine diagnostic bulb, and it may be worth doing the short the plug diagnostic test. (details please ade!)

You must be getting forgetful in your old age Paul...

The procedure for doing the diagnostics bit is in your technical section under the troubleshooting heading...

Hope this helps

Adrian
UKHBC No.59
Ipswich
:bounce:

Paul w
05-09-2002, 08:41 PM
Doh!! :suicide:
is it?

Well, you know what a compendium of knowledge this site is!

PW

john m
06-09-2002, 09:09 AM
The bulb will be replaced over the weekend and I will try the diagnostic test but in step 1 of the procedure it says "as shown" referring to a diagram, where is the diagram? ane what is a jumper wire? At the moment it just seems to dry crank with no attempt to fire, I will check for the fuel pump prime this evening. Thanks for the help, i will report back when I track down the problem, the info could be useful to others.

Thanks,
John

adrianp
06-09-2002, 06:53 PM
Hi John,

OOPS, I should have read it before sending you there...:suicide:

Not to difficult though, :D

Once the engine cover is removed, at the back behind the passenger seat side should be 2 wires with a white (clear-ish) plug on the end covered with a yellow rubber cap (normally)

If you remove the cap then you will have access to the 2 terminals inside the connector.

All you have to do is bridge the 2 terminals with a piece of wire (the Jumper wire) and then follow the instructions

Hope this helps (better this time...)

Adrian
UKHBC No.59
Ipswich