PDA

View Full Version : New Radio

Adam
25-08-2003, 11:48 PM
Hey guys,

I just got back from the States and got myself a new radio. It's a standard size one (don't get exited).

Where do I fit it thou?

At the moment it's where the glove box was, but everyone kicks it when they are getting in and out.

I could cut a whole in the dash but there is a pipe going across. Do I have enough space?

Ohh, how the hell does the dash and speakers come off?

Thanks

ozsamurai
26-08-2003, 06:16 AM
There is a standard 2 DIN adaptor for the beat available at the moment on Yahoo for 30600, and there are a few makers that do some FRP units to replace the center console if you want to buy one. Mounting the unit in the dashboard is possible, see my how far can you go page on interiors. To remove the dashboard speakers unfortunately you have to remove the dashboard (not a fun job trust me I did it last weekend), you can access the passengers side with a bit of trickery they unscrew from underneath, but the drivers side screws and bolt butt up against a steel plate. So, if your going to dashmount the stereo, do it all at once. Even if you cut the dash you will only just mount a 1DIN deck it doesn't have the width for a 2DIN and depending on length will ride up over the reinforcement bar, which would only represent a slight angle on the front face depending how high you cut into the dashboard. I would go with the DIN adaptor rather than hacking into the dash, but that just my Beat purist nature. Hope this gives you some info to work with...

Cheers

Oz

Jason
26-08-2003, 09:28 AM
Check this link out...

http://homepage.powerup.com.au/~alita/beat/faq.htm#Can%20I%20fit%20a%20DIN%20size%20stereo

adrianp
26-08-2003, 07:47 PM
Hi Adam,

If you do cut a hole in the dash, this is what it would look like...

This is a pic from the one for sale on e-bay at the moment...

Ady.

Adam
26-08-2003, 08:20 PM
Thanks a lot guys,

I needed to see a pic. Thanks Adrian.

I think I'll go happy with a saw.:D Its worth the risk.

Adam
29-08-2003, 10:01 PM
I did it and.........

I Fu%$ed it up.

You were right Oz, the angle is tricky.

I need to fix it now. Any suggestions are welcome.

ozsamurai
30-08-2003, 02:42 AM
Adam,

Sad news indeed. My suggestions

1) remove the panel you cut into (removal of the dashboard required) and patch it from the back and fill front, then cover with leatherette (on both sides) to give a nice two tone dashboard. and buy a center console unit mount.

2) Buy a new dashboard, there are two on the auctions now, 13000 and 7000ish I will go half with you if you just want the panels you hacked into. As I want the rest for an experiment...uh hahahaha...

3) Get used to looking at the firewall of your car!

You can ignore the last one! but if any of the other appeal!

Cheers

Oz

adrianp
30-08-2003, 06:41 AM
That will be a Whoops then..... :eek:

Sorry to hear that Adam, Whilst it isn't the sort of thing I'd do (Not yet anyway...) it doesn't look that bad if you can get away with it....

I hope you can get it sorted, it must have been horrible when you suddenly realised that it didn't work...

It will probably pay you to go with Oz's suggestion of the replacement part unless you are confident that the patch you put in before you cover it won't work loose...

Keep us all informed

Adrian.

Adam
30-08-2003, 12:14 PM
Do I really need the reinforcement bar?:D

I always do this thou, so I'm not really surprised. I might try to cover it. But after all this I'll still be back to square one.

Thanks guys,

I'll post a pic if I can find my camera.

ozsamurai
30-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Yeah you kind of do need it, if you want to have a glove box, as I recall. Also it goes right through I thin to the drivers side and supports the wiring harness, could be tricky to get it out/ relocate all that stuff.

Cheers

Oz

Paul w
30-08-2003, 03:54 PM
Can you not get an airbag cover plate off another vehicle and stick that over the hole?

PW

jcs
30-08-2003, 05:29 PM
Is it big enough for a small video screen?

Adam
30-08-2003, 10:51 PM
I'm really getting use to it. It’s very unusual! It’s probably the only one around.

No not that big Jcs.:p

I have an idea thou, I was at a car show today and the guy had the dash made out of fibreglass. I think I might give it a go. It cant get worse, can it?:D

ozsamurai
31-08-2003, 03:19 PM
This pic might help!