PDA

View Full Version : Idleing Problem

11-09-2002, 12:45 AM
Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone can help me, as some of you might know my beat has a bit of an idleing problem i.e most of the time once warm.. it wont! I`ve noticed something today however, when it cut itself out and i try to restart it, it restarts and almost instantly cuts out again unless it is left for a few mins. Today i noticed i cant hear the fuel pump go on for a moment before start up once the engine has cut itself out. the car has to be left a few mins then it will satrt and run once it is being reved but if its left to idle the same thing happens again.. cuts out and will sart few mins after!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

:help:

adrianp
11-09-2002, 06:49 AM
Hi John,

I would guess then that the fuel pump relay is on it's way out...

I'm still looking for the web site (in Japanese) that mentions about this problem,

Unfortunately the translation site is down at the moment but I'll have another look again tonight.

I'm sure the site tells you that the relay can be opened andchecked for dry joints/over heating/dirty contacts etc before replacing it.

As soon as I find it then I'll post it here for everyone.

Hope this will help in the end

Adrian.
UKHBC No.59
Ipswich

11-09-2002, 05:41 PM
Thanks Adrian,

I had a look behind the passenger seat for that ECU and relay, i found along with other things.. (japanese chewing gum and Yen!) some sort of ECU add on connected on to the wireing of the ECU. The unit says its a "spees limiter cut.. racing use only!" i took it off for now to see if the management light stop coming on, and it has seemed to have stoped it. But the idle problem still remains.

Can anybody suggest a good oil to use in a beat that is burning oil? im currently useing magnatec 5w-30 and it useing it up like petrol!

Thanks

Steve_M
11-09-2002, 07:41 PM
Hi john

It sounds as if your beat has been played with a bit, having a speed limiter remover added to it, that would alter the vehicle speed signal going to the ecu, perhaps that unit is faulty and not goiving the ecu a speed signal, so thus the engine light on.

Probably best just to replace the fuel pump relay really, yes, some people say that the suffer from dry solder joints etc, but most times its actually the contacts in the relay arcing due to wear, a new relay wont be excessively expensive (£30 to £40 i should think) i can supply you with either the part number or supply you a new relay (via my work)

HTH

Steve M

12-09-2002, 06:40 PM
Thanks Steve
A part number would be great

Steve_M
12-09-2002, 06:57 PM
Part number for the fuel pump relay (also called main relay) is 39400-SS1-003

HTH

Steve M

Paul w
12-09-2002, 11:48 PM
any chance you could get the speed de-limiter over to me? i have a mate that can get most things electronic copied......

pw

13-09-2002, 09:30 PM
Hi Paul,

Yeh thats no problem, i was planing on keeping it off until i have it through the National Car test in a few weeks time. As it was making the engine check light come on. Send me a PM or email me with your address.

Midship
15-11-2002, 12:52 PM
yep it was the relay that was gone and all is back to normal now!

Thanks