PDA

View Full Version : Totally OFF Beat!

ozsamurai
15-10-2003, 03:14 AM
In my spare time I do alot of genealogy research... Iwas just wondering if anyone knew any online maps of the UK where I could find a Mitchell Street, in Oldham, that's where my paternal grandfather was born, according to his birth certificate...anyone from around there? Know it. Is Oldham a district? County or what's the deal, I'm a little foggy and the name I'm researching is of course the most difficult of all SMITH! Appreciate any help/advise on this one....so you see.....the OZSamurai is actually a POME.... Would be great to be able to get down to the records center and do some research one day...maybe I'll have to bring the Beat over with me and get some touring in with you guys at the same time. Which reminds me, anyone up for coming over to Japan for the 'Meet The Beat' next May?

Cheers

Oz

Paul w
15-10-2003, 11:31 AM
Hi Oz,
Well, as far as i can see there is no Mitchell street in Oldham, but there is one in Rochdale, which has an Oldham postcode

Oldham is a town, joined onto manchester, and rochdale is another town just up the road! see map!

Paul w
15-10-2003, 11:41 AM
You could also try the uk census at http://www.census.pro.gov.uk/

if you do the person search, then you can enter details and try and track him down, even see his ocupation etc

PW

ozsamurai
15-10-2003, 11:45 AM
Thanks for that, Fahd also showed me a map of one in Chadderton, Oldham OL12, now I have 2 leads to follow, I wish I had the street number, I'd get one of you guys to go down and BEAT the door for me see if the Smith's still live there (lol)....give me a break on the jokes I've had a rough day. Anyway they were there in 1903 whicever street it was, the birth was registered in Oldham district, not maybe Oldham town itself, trust there to be two, thanks for the help guys

Cheers

OZ (escapee POME)

Paul w
15-10-2003, 11:53 AM
Ah, yes, missed that one! there is one and its in oldham 'proper'!

If you find out the house number he lived at from the census, i'll drop by sometime and take a picture if you like!

PW

ozsamurai
16-10-2003, 02:07 AM
I got a house number, No. 1 Mitchell Street, if anyone has the inclination to drop by at some stage and get a pic, even ask where the Smiths have gone? that would be fantastic....cheers

Oz

Marcus
11-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Hi,

Have you got any further? I used to go to school in Oldham and i live in Rochdale when im not at uni so i maybe able to swing round sometime and get a photo if you want. What do you want to know?

Marcus

ozsamurai
13-02-2004, 01:00 AM
Marcus,

Thanks for the offer, if you could get a pic of 1 Mitchell St, it would be great to add to the growing mountain of data I have been collecting, you know a 'this is where it all started pic'....Only if you have time, don't put yourself out on my account. As for the research it has come to a grinding halt, because of the names I struck up the family tree. My Great grandfather was a Henry Smith married Elizabeth Shaw, they were the ones registered at the Mitchell St address.....but I can't find records on Henry's birth to get his birth certificate to take it one level up, although I know that his father was John and so on for 3 generations, So I have this near impossible task of finding JOHN SMITH's back to the 1700's, depressing isn't it! The best lead AI have so far is that Henry's father JOHN was a blacksmith and seems to have been born in Heywood......that's as far as I have got, as I'm doing this all by remote from Japan. I would really love to be able to afford the time to come to the UK and spend a month or so going through the records offices files, but.............

Cheers

Oz

Marcus
05-05-2004, 12:43 PM
Hi Oz,

Just to let you I havent forgot about getting the pic, I just havent been back up north yet, and im going to be stuck down in Oxford till I finish my exams at the end of June. Had any more luck with your search?

Marcus