PDA

View Full Version : non starter when hot!!!!!!!

seanie bee
02-11-2003, 12:17 AM
hi...sometimes (when i have drove hard) my beat wont start,as if the battery is flat,my friend says he has heard it is a fault with a relay,ive had the battery checked and it is fine.anybody get the same problem?or know what the problem is??...............cheers seanie bee!:confused:

adrianp
02-11-2003, 12:23 AM
Hi Sean,

Hopefully this is an easy one...

Your friend is probably right... It sounds like the Fuel Pump Relay is playing up...

It is a fairly common fault with the beats although since it doesn't happen all the time it is something that a lot of people live with...

Mine does it on the odd occasion but hasn't done it for about 9 months now (I know... I shouldn't have mentioned it as it's going to do it constantly now...).

I would guess that if you leave the car to cool down for 10-15 mins then it starts without any problems... If so then the relay is probably the problem.

The relay is situated just above the ECU which is behind the document box, behind the passenger seat.

it's a bit of a hassle to get to because you have to start undoing trim etc but it's fairly straightforward.

Hope this helps

Adrian.

seanie bee
02-11-2003, 12:32 AM
cheers mate!!!

Steve_M
02-11-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by seanie bee
my beat wont start,as if the battery is flat,

Does it not turn over???

or does it turn over but not fire?

beatslicer69
02-11-2003, 07:05 PM
it wont turn over but sometimes makes a clicking noise similar to a faulty solenoid

seanie

Steve_M
02-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Then its not the fuel pump relay then.

Perhaps your right faulty solenoid/starter motor.

Poor connection on starter/engine earth.

I had never experianced any non starting faults with that car.

beatslicer69
02-11-2003, 07:18 PM
i think it could be a battery problem

cheers seanie

beatslicer69
02-11-2003, 07:21 PM
how old is the battery? do you think it could be the battery?

Steve_M
02-11-2003, 07:34 PM
Not sure on age of battery, that battery was swapped from my other beat.

Batteries dont normally suffer from heat, its normally cold that makes a battery drop off.

whereas starters/solenoids suffer from heat.

does it start if left to cool??

beatslicer69
02-11-2003, 07:37 PM
yes it starts when cool i think, saying that it was fine most of yesterday and all day today

seanie