PDA

View Full Version : Oil Burning

30-09-2002, 10:24 PM
Hi Everyone

My beat is burning a mad amount of oil about 1L every 300km. im useing 5w-30 magnatec oil in it at the moment and theres 105km on the clock. Is it normal for beats to burn oil like this? dose anyone else have the same prob? or is there any better oil i could use?

Thanks

Steve_M
30-09-2002, 10:57 PM
My beat was using oil at a similiar rate, part of the reason that my engine was planned to come apart over the winter, mainly for valve stem oil seals and piston rings. (except its now apart early for other reasons)

I did notice quite a lot of oil had gone via the breather pipe into the air filter housing, not sure if this could have been due to high crank case presure due to worn rings/glazed bores.

I was using 10W-40 GTX Magnatec and previous to that Mobil Super S 10W-40, This is the oil we use at work on nearly all Honda Models.

My beat has 80k Kms on it

HTH

Jason
30-09-2002, 11:08 PM
Hi,

My Beat burns oil as well although not quite at the rate you talk about. I lose about a litre every month or two which is a few thousand kilometres. I'm using Castrol GTX Magnatec 10W-40. It is the best oil I can find other than buying genuine Honda Oil.

Hope this helps

Jason;)

Steve_M
15-11-2002, 10:10 PM
Well it would seem that so far since my engine rebuild (new piston rings/valve stem seals) and having now done 350 km so far running in with a rev limit of 6000 rpm, it has not used a drop of oil.

where before it would have used 0.5 - 0.75 litres of oil.

So all that work/money spent was worth it :)

Midship
26-12-2002, 09:30 PM
I have changed my oil to 10w40 and am useing bardhal oil treatment and oil usage has gone down a lot eventually i hope to get new rings/valve stem oil seals

Thanks for the help

JohnD

adrianp
01-01-2003, 05:00 PM
Hi John,

Don't suppose you have any details on the oil treatment do you??

Although I suspect it is more to do with changing to 10w40 that has helped a lot.

I've heard of the treatment a couple of times now and was wondering if they had a website for info???

Ta

Adrian
:bounce:

Midship
01-01-2003, 11:09 PM
Hi Adrian,

The web site is

http://www.bardahl.com/automotive/problem/problem.htm#No-Smoke

I found it very good value for money and one bottle will is sufficient for about 4 oil changes on the beat. Apparently the thicker the oil additive is, the better and the bardhal is the thickest I could find. But as you said the fact that I changed the type oil was using prob was the reason for less oil usage

Talk Soon

John

adrianp
02-01-2003, 07:58 AM
Thanks for that John,

Just had a quick look and it seems like all of the products on that page could be usefull at some stage.

I'll have a proper look tonight when I get home

Thanks again

Adrian
:bounce: