PDA

View Full Version : help again

JGGIB
24-07-2004, 06:15 PM
fitter put new exhuast vavles ets went for drive started to knock,took it back he said did not sound like big/small ends.(i am not a mech)Put a bulb in engine ECU unit and flashes 9 times.Now this is my question could big ends/small end go as quick as that no knock before just no compresion on 1 cylinder,self diagnosic says 9 flashes timing or sensor any sugestions car due to go back tuesday ,dont no how fitter did the timing downloaded some info off steves www site about ignition timing which i will give to him,hope you all had good time at billin weather was good in clacton.

Steve_M
24-07-2004, 07:47 PM
Trouble code 9 is related to No.1 TDC sensor. (situated behind the camshaft pulley) It does not neccesarly mean the sensor is at fault but can also be caused by the ignition/valve timing being out.

Interesting that your engine light bulb was out, presumably the light had been on with a previous owner and they either could not or would not sort the problem out.

The sensor it self should have a resistance of 700 - 1000 ohms when checked with out the engine running. (its basically a coil type inductive sensor)

With out hearing the noise/knock its difficult to say where the problems are. could be a loose tappet adjuster or another problem relating to the work just carried out rather than a failure of something else.

HTH

JGGIB
25-07-2004, 10:03 PM
if this knock turns out to be big or small ends what is the procedure for removing them to save time ,can they be removed through the sump or do they have to remove the head and take out that way?is it best to remove engine from the bay ?just trying to save time for the fitter.

Steve_M
26-07-2004, 06:35 PM
If you required to remove the pistons from the bores, I would say that its really best an engine out job. its pretty straight forward really, it just drops out the bottom almost complete.

I have just complete a rebuild on a beat engine, it had obviously been run low on oil for a while and was smoking quite badly. The bearing shells were quite worn, but it was not actually knocking.

When is you noise occuring?? all the time?? underload??

JGGIB
26-07-2004, 07:26 PM
it seems to come when accelarating but i had a good listen this morning when i looked for the No9 sensor which tested at 680ohms so i should think thats ok (if it was the right sensor(it was near side on the top near cam shaft belt. it sounds as if its coming from tappet area,I got some info from your web site about shorting the yellow plug whilst checking the timing i dont expect he did that as he did not have the info ,he is looking tomorrow so he should have all the info.

Steve_M
26-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Pic shows No 1 Cylinder sensor (highlighted)

JGGIB
26-07-2004, 10:04 PM
yes steve thats the one i tested.

Steve_M
26-07-2004, 10:30 PM
perhaps the noise you are hearing is due to the fact that the ignition/valve timing is so far out??? poss got the cambelt a tooth out???

http://www.u-ukhbc.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=885

(my last post)
for alignment marks etc.

HTH

Steve_M
26-07-2004, 10:32 PM
when distributor is fitted the alignment mark needs to be aligned

Steve_M
26-07-2004, 10:33 PM
and then as it goes in it will turn on the gear to align like this