Thread: Rear Ended

Angry Rear Ended

Well 20 years of accident free driving came to an end this evening. "Tracy" was mind in neutral, car in gear in a 30 limit right into my rear end.

There doesn't seem to be too much damage, bumper, the plate behind it (the bloody stainless steel grill I painstakingly drilled dozens of holes to fit) but it was a fair old clout.

If any one has suffered similar (or Steve, if your reading this), the car has to go to the insurance companies garage, is there anything I should point out for specific inspection? The bumper seems to have folded down towards the front (gap at the rear wheel arch) I'm just hoping she didn't bend the rear of the chassis.

Adam, it looks like I'll be getting the sprayjob anyway
    If it ain't broke, take it apart and see how it works

Sorry to hear about it Tim.. Surprisingly the same thing happened to me three weeks ago, a car reversed into my rear when I was parked! No bad damage- just a bent bracket behind the bumper, I was about to let her away with it when she started cursing at me and saying it was my fault even though I was parked up!! And that bumpers were for bumping????!!!! So I put in a claim to her insurance company He he he no more no claims discount for her

Id imagine your chassis is fine, unless the poor thing got an awful thump. There’s two very sturdy points behind the bumper, however the point that the bumper is bolted onto is prob bent (that’s what happened mine) it can be straighten up but might need to be welded,

Heres an old pic from the rebuild, you can see my right hand side bracket was bent before so I put some grey primer on it to stop it rusting. Hope you get thing sorted soon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image(20).jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	714  

It could be worse......

Name:	yyy.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	715  

Thanks for that picture mick if that's all that's there I've probably got the same sort of damage as you, I hope it didn't damage that exhaust I got the welds on that wouldn't take much abuse
    With a bit of luck it will just be a new bumper and the plate behind it (or is that in front), some hammer work and a spray job.

Or even worse!

good luck with the repairs!

Do we know who i was waving at yet?

PW

Name:	crash1.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	716  
    'Beatless for 4 years now

I reckon it must hace been DUBBEAT? he lives over that side of the city and he has a very clean standard one... Unless theres another unknow Beat around!

Theres also a yellow beat driving around with an unsprayed mugen kit on it... Dose the owner vist the site? If so... own up!

Sorry to hear about it Tim,

Don't worry if its only surface damage then it can be put right quite easy. As long as the car drives in a straight line, you have nothing to worry about.

Does it look bad, if so get an estimate and your insurance company might write it off, since parts are not really available. Then buy it back a book value. You might have a beat and enough money to buy another one. Anyway just an idea.

If I can help in anyway then let me know.

Goodluck
    I have a dream

Thanks for that Adam,

I took it to the garage today and strange as it may seem he had never seen one before!!!

Anyway we had a nice chat and I explained that the local Honda garage doesn't have a parts list for it so if he told me what he needed I'd fax the numbers to him. He said that in that case we had better order ALL the bits for the back end and he would speak to a friend about making a new stainless exhaust pipe and silencer. (It's been rammed into mounting bracket at the bottom of the engine.)
    If it turns out Honda can't supply the rear bumper I may have to order one from BYS.
    All in all not as bad as it could have been (certainly nothing like those pics above). I guess it was lucky it was my car that she hit, 4pm in a 30, in town. It could so easily have been a kid.

Ouch! See what I can do about getting you back on the road. Is anyone interested in joining the BYS purchasing frenzy, I may organize a container if there are enough of you..... Sorry for the absense from the boards, I'm still around though....haven't been crushed by earthquakes, drowned in the floods or been rendered homless by the Typoons.....touch wood!

Cheers

Oz